Reference site in/near Oxford?

Moderator: crythias

AndrewMC
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.2.2

Reference site in/near Oxford?

Post by AndrewMC »

Hi All

Hope I'm allowed to post this here. I've recently started for a local authority who are looking to implement OTRS for a small team (though we intend on rolling it out across other business functions in time eg HR, Finance etc...) by the end of March! I'm new to OTRS as well, though not to servicedesk software, and am wondering if there is anyone close by or within reasonable distance whom I can visit and see the system in action, maybe pick your brains as to implementation etc...?? A small plea to help the afflicted!!

Many thanks and apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place....
A.
CSL
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 3.0.11

Re: Reference site in/near Oxford?

Post by CSL »

Hi,

You may not have much luck asking this type of thing: usually, site-visits are done when both parties can benefit each other (eg, show me your set up with product A and we'll show you ours with product B) or if the other company is looking to improve relations, or the visit is organised by the vendor to promote their product, etc. Just asking for a site visit may work if you're a student, and doing research / a project, but other companies may not be very willing to let you look around their systems if you are just an employee with a different organisation.

The best way is to bite the bullet and hit up the admin manual:
http://doc.otrs.org/3.2/en/html/

It contains al lot of good info and will help you set up a working test system. Google is your very, very good friend and will turn up lots of advice if you get stuck, though you may have to do a bit of wading to reach the useful stuff (as ever). If you're totally stuck the help forum is there, but 99% of things you'd think to post are probably already covered by previous posts or findable with google.

If you have experience with:
Apache
MySQL / SQL
Linux command line

You will find it pretty straight forward. If you're new to any of the above, I'd recommend doing some basic reading on them first, to understand what they are and how to use them in simple terms. If you're planning on using Windows then you might find it easier initially, but be advised that upgrading OTRS to newer versions later on can be slightly more difficult than on Linux. You will also find performance tuning and performance in general better on Linux.
Backend: OTRS 3.0.11 RedHat Enterprise Linux 6.2, Apache, MySQL with replication
Frontend: OTRS 3.0.11 RedHat Enterprise Linux 6.2 with SELinux, Apache SSL
AndrewMC
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.2.2

Re: Reference site in/near Oxford?

Post by AndrewMC »

Ok, thanks for that...we have a test system up and running and have a few inhouse developer skills... guess i'm used to public sector orgs who are generally happy to accomodate other PS organisations...thanks for the link etc will definitely be frequenting this site in the future, seems to be loads of good advice...

A.