manual Escalation of ticket

Moderator: crythias

Romaing
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.1.5

manual Escalation of ticket

Post by Romaing »

Hello,

I'm really still discovering OTRS (a trainee in a IT department) so please bear with me :oops:

Is there a way to manually escalate a ticket in OTRS ?

I've read the doc on how to use the generic agent and set up a task running every X minutes/hours as well as setting up escalation times in the queue area, but i need a way to make an agent able to simply escalate a ticket as he wishes, especially from one agent to another.

What would be a good way to do that, if there is any ?

Thanks, and best regards.
Romain

[edit]: might have been better to post into the Help::Configuration :D area of the forum, sorry about that. Doesn't mean i don't wan't an answer ! :]
OTRS 3.1.5 on Ubuntu 12.04
Database: MySQL
Module: FAQ
micshi
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 3.2.2

Re: manual Escalation of ticket

Post by micshi »

what is escalation? it's an action that was triggered by a rule.

If you want to assign a ticket to another agent, you should change the ticket owner or move the ticket to another queue.
OTRS 3.2.2, ITSM 3.2.2, SystemMonitor
Ubuntu, Apache2, MySQL 5
My OTRS Blog
OTRS Basic Concept Training
OTRS Demo Instance
Romaing
Znuny newbie

Post by Romaing »

Thanks, that's pretty much what i thought.

No i can say with a proof to back me up that it's not possible^^
Last edited by Romaing on 25 Apr 2012, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

You can't manually escalate tickets because that's based upon a queue, response, SLA, and time.

SLA's can't be overwritten on demand because they're agreements.

Now that that's said, what does escalate mean to you? change priority? Change tech? Change Queue?
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
Romaing
Znuny newbie

Post by Romaing »

To me it's a priority change.

Thing is, i understand (well, starting to^^ ) how the many features of OTRS work together, but the company that i'm setting up OTRs for isn't big enough to need setting up SLAs, linking types to services, and all that stuff.

So that big chunk of space in the dashboard reserved for escalated tickets is very tempting, i'd still like (and the IT staff too) to find a proper use for it.

That's why for example, i asked in this topic if a simple ACL could simply escalate it if a ticket is created in a specific file. The customer user panel is gonna be used by the company staff to report mostly daily issues, so the panel need to be kept super basic, with the least options possible. For example the priority box will have 2 options: normal and high.
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

Escalations in OTRS speak are tickets that will soon/already reached a threshold/deadline for not being addressed according to the SLA or the Queue. If you wish to create a dashboard or sort for high priority items, you can do that. Check SysConfig (search for dashboard).
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
Romaing
Znuny newbie

Post by Romaing »

Thanks, in the end i just disabled the Ticket Pending & Ticket Escalation boxes in Ticket -> Frontend::Agent::Dashboard. As i also removed everything related to SLAs and stuff like time management.

It's just that the IT staff is used to other ticket management system and from what i understand, escalating tickets just mean something different in other apps. Apparently stuff like manually changing the ticket owner is part of escalation in other apps.
So they wanted to see that if for example they change a ticket owner to another agent or adjust the priority from normal to high, then have a sort of 'reminder' of these special tickets in the escalation box. (i don't know if i'm clear)

I'll also try to customize the dashboard so stuff like that is clearly displayed. Hopefully it will all go smoothly :o