Moderator: crythias

quadrivium
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.0.10
Company: Quadrivium

Hosting Docker image of OTRS in cloud

Post by quadrivium »

Hello,
I've seen that here's a docker unofficial version of OTRS6 reachable here, I've seen that the mantainer is an active user here, and was wondering if it's possible to have the MariaDB file mounted as volume. The main reason I'm asking it is since the instance we've is on a Devuan image and has a lot of unpatched packets. Is this version of the docker image patched to the latest version?

I also was wondering if using this Docker in cloud can allow me to have the MariaDB db file in a separate volume, since it would allow easier backup instead of have everything inside a container.

Another question (I've searched but have not a clear idea), is regarding assigning an host name to the docker so it seems under owr domain.

Thanks in advance
Paolo
jbaptiste
Znuny advanced
Znuny Version: 6.0.x

Re: Hosting Docker image of OTRS in cloud

Post by jbaptiste »

quadrivium wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 11:20 Hello,
I've seen that here's a docker unofficial version of OTRS6 reachable here, I've seen that the mantainer is an active user here, and was wondering if it's possible to have the MariaDB file mounted as volume. The main reason I'm asking it is since the instance we've is on a Devuan image and has a lot of unpatched packets. Is this version of the docker image patched to the latest version?
It uses the official MariaDB container.
quadrivium wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 11:20 I also was wondering if using this Docker in cloud can allow me to have the MariaDB db file in a separate volume, since it would allow easier backup instead of have everything inside a container.
Did you really check the project files ? if you had you would have seen that the db container is being mounted from the host filesystem:

https://github.com/juanluisbaptiste/doc ... e-prod.yml
quadrivium wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 11:20
Another question (I've searched but have not a clear idea), is regarding assigning an host name to the docker so it seems under owr domain.
The hostname you use to access the container has nothing to do with its configuration. I think you should read a lot more about how docker and docker-compose work, before trying to use this project, clearly you have many misconceptions.

This is a good place to start.
Want to run OTRS on docker ? checkout my OTRS on docker HOWTO | Project's github page
quadrivium
Znuny newbie

Post by quadrivium »

Hello,
Thanks for your reply, yes, I'm quite new to docker but my question regarding the volumes is due to the fact that as runtime configuration, you have parameters as OTRS_DB_HOST where you specify an instance of MariaDb/MySql, as long as username/password. Can you please tell me ,if it doesn't disturb you how can I specify the volume file so that I can have it in a separate location? have I to pass a -v /volumes/mysql:.... ?

Thanks and please excuse me for my questions
jbaptiste
Znuny advanced

Post by jbaptiste »

If you have an external database you only need to setup OTRS_DB_HOST, OTRS_DB_USER and OTRS_DB_PASSWORD pointing to your database host. Volumes are only if you are using a containerized database.
Want to run OTRS on docker ? checkout my OTRS on docker HOWTO | Project's github page
quadrivium
Znuny newbie

Post by quadrivium »

Hello again @jbaptiste,
Thanks for your reply, in case I want to use your image, with even the DB, and just specify the volume where I would persist the data, have I to change it in the compose file, or where should I set it when executing your container? I've seen you have set it

Code: Select all

/volumes/mysql
but when I run it my image, I don't specify it.

I'm running it on windows docker with Linux Container, so I don't know where volumes/mysql maps to. Yes, I'm quite new to docker as you told, but I really have tried to understand in which part of the filesystem is mounted the /volumes/mysql but I've no success.

Usually when I mount a volume I set it as c:/dockers/something:/mnt/...... here what should I do?

Thanks in advance
And please excuse me for my noob question

Paolo
jbaptiste
Znuny advanced

Post by jbaptiste »

quadrivium wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 11:10 Hello again @jbaptiste,
Thanks for your reply, in case I want to use your image, with even the DB, and just specify the volume where I would persist the data, have I to change it in the compose file, or where should I set it when executing your container? I've seen you have set it

/volumes/mysql
but when I run it my image, I don't specify it.

I'm running it on windows docker with Linux Container, so I don't know where volumes/mysql maps to. Yes, I'm quite new to docker as you told, but I really have tried to understand in which part of the filesystem is mounted the /volumes/mysql but I've no success.

Usually when I mount a volume I set it as c:/dockers/something:/mnt/...... here what should I do?
Exaclty the same thing, the database container volumes are being mounted into the host using bind mounts (but you could also use regular volumes):

volumes:
      - './volumes/mysql:/var/lib/mysql'
      - '/etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro'
quadrivium
Znuny newbie

Post by quadrivium »

Hello jbaptiste, sorry for the delay but we had a week of shutdown due to covid…. I've understood a thing, and please confirm it to me, the MariaDB is outside your image and not? is it right? so the volume of MySQL is not the one where the Db is hosted?
In your GitHub you say
We also include a MariaDB Dockerfile for a pre-configured image with the required database settings.
, with this you indend that you provide an external MariaDB? (The link btw gives a 404)

Looking at the compose, it seems it's hosted inside

mariadb:
    image: juanluisbaptiste/otrs-mariadb:latest
    build: mariadb
    expose:
      - "3306"
    env_file: .env
    volumes:
But in this case, being under a windows container, where should I find it on my windows installation??
jbaptiste
Znuny advanced

Post by jbaptiste »

quadrivium wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 15:20 Hello jbaptiste, sorry for the delay but we had a week of shutdown due to covid…. I've understood a thing, and please confirm it to me, the MariaDB is outside your image and not? is it right? so the volume of MySQL is not the one where the Db is hosted?
Is not included in the OTRS image, it's a separate image.
quadrivium wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 15:20 In your GitHub you say
We also include a MariaDB Dockerfile for a pre-configured image with the required database settings.
, with this you indend that you provide an external MariaDB? (The link btw gives a 404)
That link does not point to the mariadb container but to the official documentation for the required database settings.
quadrivium wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 15:20
Looking at the compose, it seems it's hosted inside

mariadb:
    image: juanluisbaptiste/otrs-mariadb:latest
    build: mariadb
    expose:
      - "3306"
    env_file: .env
    volumes:
But in this case, being under a windows container, where should I find it on my windows installation??
That is not true, that they are on the same compose file does not mean mariadb belongs to the same OTRS image. Mariadb and OTRS are separate images that are run as one service using that compose file.

Please read more about how docker and docker-compose works, you have many misconceptions on how this works, carefully review all the links I posted in one of my earlier responses.