English! place to talk about development, programming and coding
tarnalcock
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.3.1
Company: Guccio Computer Consulting

Mailbox Notification Module

Post by tarnalcock »

Hi All,

I run an OTRS instance for our software development company.

Recently a very difficult client insisted that he had sent me an attachment that I never received. Nearly a month later he sent it again, CCing my personal address as well as our OTRS system this time. The ticket never came through!

So I went and checked the mail account manually and lo and behold, both the new and original mail had never been fetched!

It turns out that the mail was too big (19mb). Now I have changed the max file size limit and do not imagine encountering this again, however I think it may be a good idea to add a check and maybe have a notification stating "not all mail could be fetched" or "mail was too large please increase size limit" or something to that effect.

So I would like to try my hand at developing something like this but have no idea where to start. I am not at all familiar with perl. I have looked in otrs.PostMasterMailbox.pl but do not really see anything about individual messages in there.

My other idea was just to have a bash script check the mailbox and send me an email with a notification, scheduled just after the otrs fetchmail job which checks to see if there are any messages left older than the time the job ran (to account for potential new mail coming in just after).

Could you please give me some hints or opinions on the best place to start?

Many Thanks
tarnalcock
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.3.1
Company: Guccio Computer Consulting

Re: Mailbox Notification Module

Post by tarnalcock »

After increasing the size limit in Ticket::Core::Postmaster, the mails were fetched - however the attachments were stripped from the mails.

I came across this post https://gist.github.com/Wachhund/4747376 for increasing file size limit. Is this worthwhile?

I forgot to mention, earlier, that I am using OTRS 4.0.5.
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Re: Mailbox Notification Module

Post by jojo »

Hi,

the changes are valid. but not to check logfiles for errors (where the issue could have be found) is an operational issue. So monitor logfiles for errors and that's it
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com