How to change state of a CI to 'Incident' from 'Operational'

Moderator: crythias

bliekp
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.6

How to change state of a CI to 'Incident' from 'Operational'

Post by bliekp »

Newbie... three questions regarding OTRS:ITSM...

How to change state of a CI to 'Incident' from 'Operational' when an incident occurs on a CI? Automatically!

Also, how do I enforce and agent to ALWAYS link an incident to a CI?

When I link a CI to an incident, I can choose 'alternative to', 'depends on', 'required for', and 'relevant to'. What I miss here is 'affects'.

So what I basically want to achieve is:
- an incident always needs a CI linked
- this link is not loose. An incident is happening to a CI.
- status of the CI should change from operational to 'incident' when an incident is created linked to that CI. It should also change back to 'operational' when all incidents on the CI are resolved.

Any ideas, hints or thoughts? What am I missing?
The manual is very very far from clear...
Mike_B
Znuny Version: CVS HEAD

Re: How to change state of a CI to 'Incident' from 'Operatio

Post by Mike_B »

Hi Pim,

Currently, the Incident State is set in two ways:
  • A CI is set to "Incident" and it has other CI's that have a "Depend On" relationship. In this case, the other CI's will also be affected.
  • You use the SystemMonitoring package to for instance integrate with Nagios. Now if a message from Nagios comes in, you can let it affect the incident state.
It would be possible by writing an event module to affect the incident state of the CI based on an incident in OTRS. But take care, you probably only want to do this when the ticket type is "Incident" or so (for instance, not for service requests) and when priority is higher than "Low".

Please note that you can add your own link types, if desired, via the SysConfig.

At the moment, it's not possible to make it mandatory to link an incident to a CI. It would be possible to do so with a slight modification of OTRS. That said, again I think you'd probably not want to have it required for every ticket. Maybe only for certain ticket types.

Hope this helps,

Michiel
huntingbears.nl - @michielbeijen on Twitter