Emailing within a ticket - script crashes

Moderator: crythias

Gunz
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4

Emailing within a ticket - script crashes

Post by Gunz »

Hi, I posted this question in the "error" forum but didn't get a response. I'm hoping someone here may have seen this before and will know what to do...

I'm running the Windows version 2.4.7 (fresh install this week).

When I try to email from within a ticket the script crashes and shows a HTTP 500 error.

The Apache error logs shows the following:--

[Thu Jul 01 16:17:12 2010] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Use of uninitialized value $_ in -d at C:/PROGRA~1/OTRS/StrawberryPerl/perl/lib/CGI.pm line 4083., referer: , referer: http:// localhost/otrs/index.pl?Action=AdminNotificationEvent

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has a remedy for this issue. I'm not overly knowledgable with Perl so somewhat detailed instructions would help!

Thanks Wayne
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Re: Emailing within a ticket - script crashes

Post by crythias »

No need to cross-post. We who are answering the questions (OK, here I'm speaking for myself, but I doubt I'm unique in this respect) do observe all the forums that we can understand. Your error message is cryptic and isn't providing enough information on its own to address directly. At the minimum, my first guess is that you have the MTA configured for sendmail, which you don't have installed. But I'm simply speaking into /dev/null at this point, because I chose not to run on Windows, so I can't exactly troubleshoot this perfectly.
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
Gunz
Znuny newbie

Post by Gunz »

Thanks for your response.

It may well be that I've not configured SMTP properly.

Here is what I've configured under the SysConfig::Framework::Core::Sendmail

SendmailModule: SMTP
SendmailModule::CMD: <--- I left this blank
SendmailModule::Host: xxxx.gunz.com.au
SendmailModule::Port: 25
SendmailModule::AuthUser: xxx
SendmailModule::AuthPassword: xxx
SendmailBcc: <--- I left this blank
SendmailNotificationEnvelopeFrom: <--- I left this blank
SendmailEncodingForce: base64

I was for instance unsure of the AuthUser setting... should it be the full email address (e.g. "mailuser@gunze.com.au") or simply the user (e.g. "mailuser" without the gunze.com.au on the end)???

Again I'd appreciate any assistance you can provide with this... Wayne
Gunz
Znuny newbie

Post by Gunz »

FYI... I've figured this one out myself.

In the end it was an SMTP configuration issue - the SMTP server did not need authenication hence the script was failing.

Removing the Authentication User and Password settings from the SMTP configuration fixed the problem.
silverkorn
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4.7

Post by silverkorn »

I got the same type of error and my configuration seems properly filled.

Tested with:
SMTP module w/ port 25;
IP address and FQDN for host;
username@company.com and username for AuthUser;

The problem is that, yes it works if I clear the authentication fields but there's a security implented on our side that if we send without authentication, I works only inside the company, else, we must use an authentication to go out of the company.

The fact is that I tried many ways with Outlook and I was able to make it with the IMAPS for receiving (already working in OTRS) and SMTP with authentication on port 25 without encryption stuffs. This means that the server accepts to send the e-mail outside and inside the company once authenticated.

Let me know what's your thoughts.
Thanks in advance! :)
Mike_B
Znuny Version: CVS HEAD

Post by Mike_B »

silverkorn wrote:
Let me know what's your thoughts.
Thanks in advance! :)
My thoughts: ask your mail server administrator!
You probably need both authentication and SSL for SMTP, and then you'd be good.

--
Mike.
huntingbears.nl - @michielbeijen on Twitter
silverkorn
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4.7

Post by silverkorn »

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I've tried with STMP and SMTPS on ports 25, 465 and 587 with authentication.

But anyway, it could'nt make sense because I tried with the Outlook 2007 account management tests and it didn't worked correctly on all execpt with this configuration that I've fit with the one I've just created in OTRS:

IMAPS on 993 with SSL security with <username> and <password> [Works correctly in OTRS]
SMTP on 25 with No security with <username> and <password> (I had to go in the options to confirm that I needed an authentication, I've put the same as the IMAPS and the rest worked correctly in the test and Outlook) [Doesn't work in OTRS]

After the the successful test, I've sent in Outlook with these configuration an e-mail outside and inside my company and it worked.

Is it possible that if the mail server accepts empty authentication (or guest-like), OTRS doesn't accept to use any authentication since it realize that it is not needed?

Thanks again!