Setting up 2 or more SMTP accounts

Moderator: crythias

alexcni
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4.7

Setting up 2 or more SMTP accounts

Post by alexcni »

Hello,

I am running OTRS version 2.4.7 for the office tickets that we have here,so far it has been great.

The only problem i have is that it supports only 1 SMTP account and i am using OTRS to handle a bunch of tasks that need separation in the execution.
On our current mail server it works with multiple queue system addresses, but we are now moving to Gmail and all those features are not working anymore.

My question is ,can u configure more than 1 smtp account in OTRS or can u bypass that rule,or if is there any way of linking the postmaster addresses to the smtp accounts?

If anyone can give me any kind of advice i would greatly appreaciate it.

Thank you.
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Re: Setting up 2 or more SMTP accounts

Post by crythias »

You want two ways to send mail?
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
alexcni
Znuny newbie

Post by alexcni »

Basicly i would like to be able to choose from which email address i send to so i can keep all my tickets in the correct queues.
But as i saw in the sentmail part of the core you can only setup one smtp account per running instance. If there is anyway i could set 2 or 3 addresses in that smtp config i would like to know it.
My current config uses the default sendmail protocol of OTRS ,and i am currently sending mail via the aliases i created to help me sort the tickets out.
The bad part is that Google doesnt allow unprotected/unencrypted traffic to and from it's servers so i cant use it as i am now.
crythias

Post by crythias »

You'll want to add email sender addresses in Email Addresses in admin, where you can also select the queue that pertains to the email address. Then in the Queues, you can choose such email addresses as the Systemaddress per queue (sender).
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
alexcni
Znuny newbie

Post by alexcni »

I have already set up the email addresses in admin but they dont have any kind of login information field so i just get an authentication error when i try to mail from them.

I think OTRS was created to handle only one type of issues at a time so you can setup only one mail address in the core.I would really like to keep only one instance of OTRS running and not do 3 at a time because it is time consuming for a person to verify 3 interfaces for tickets.
peter_sk
Znuny newbie

Post by peter_sk »

e-mail address and its account (incoming mail account) is one thing. SMTP account is another. Don't mix these two.
Some SMTP servers (SMTP server is service for sending messages) require logon to send a message, some don't. Google for example, uses the same account information for sending and receiving emails, but these are basically two different credentials check systems.

You can set up as many different POP/IMAP accounts in OTRS as you wish for incoming messeges (mailboxes), but only one SMTP server is required, which is enough for sending mails.
OTRS 2.4.7 with ITSM 2.0.3. running on Linux Fedora 12
Mike_B
Znuny Version: CVS HEAD

Post by Mike_B »

peter_sk wrote:You can set up as many different POP/IMAP accounts in OTRS as you wish for incoming messeges (mailboxes), but only one SMTP server is required, which is enough for sending mails.
Hi Peter,

that last statement is not necessarily true. More and more SMTP servers will only want to relay mail for their domain. So if you use OTRS to handle mail for support@foo.com and support@bar.com, chances are that you can't use the foo.com server to send out mail for both foo.com and bar.com domains.

You mentioned Google Apps, actually that does the same. You'd need to authenticate in order to send mail. So if you authenticate with support@foo.com you can send out any mail you like but google will re-write the outgoing mail to be 'support@foo.com' - so there's no way you can send out mail from support@bar.com or even sales@foo.com via this connection.

You might be able to work around this by installing an MTA such as postfix locally and configure it so that it will relay the mail to the different SMTP providers, but this can be kind of tedious. This is however the recommended way at this moment in time.

Eventually, we will probably build in support for multiple SMTP backends in OTRS.

--
Mike.
huntingbears.nl - @michielbeijen on Twitter
alexcni
Znuny newbie

Post by alexcni »

Thank you all for your helpfull answers i will see about a postfix and will wait for further development by the dev team.

Thank you again.
alexcni
Znuny newbie

Post by alexcni »

One last thing does anybody know a good MTA postfix for this issue.
Or do i have to build it myself.

Thank you again.
peter_sk
Znuny newbie

Post by peter_sk »

Mike_B wrote:
peter_sk wrote:You can set up as many different POP/IMAP accounts in OTRS as you wish for incoming messeges (mailboxes), but only one SMTP server is required, which is enough for sending mails.
Hi Peter,

that last statement is not necessarily true. More and more SMTP servers will only want to relay mail for their domain. So if you use OTRS to handle mail for support@foo.com and support@bar.com, chances are that you can't use the foo.com server to send out mail for both foo.com and bar.com domains.

You mentioned Google Apps, actually that does the same. You'd need to authenticate in order to send mail. So if you authenticate with support@foo.com you can send out any mail you like but google will re-write the outgoing mail to be 'support@foo.com' - so there's no way you can send out mail from support@bar.com or even sales@foo.com via this connection.

You might be able to work around this by installing an MTA such as postfix locally and configure it so that it will relay the mail to the different SMTP providers, but this can be kind of tedious. This is however the recommended way at this moment in time.

Eventually, we will probably build in support for multiple SMTP backends in OTRS.

--
Mike.
Of course Mike, you're right, if you want to use different domains.
I was speculating (but didn't write it down), that there are different mailboxes, within the same domain.

Peter
OTRS 2.4.7 with ITSM 2.0.3. running on Linux Fedora 12
crythias

Post by crythias »

Alex, please clarify if your email addresses have different domains.
alexcni
Znuny newbie

Post by alexcni »

All of my addresses will be on Google so they will be on the same domain.

But as i said i cant figure out how to make all those system addresses login since u dont have a login field in the e-mail addresses tab.
crythias

Post by crythias »

You can retrieve as many accounts as possible in PostMaster Mail account.

Config Options: Framework -> Core::Sendmail has checkboxes
SendmailModule::Port:
If "SMTP/SMTPS" was selected for SendmailModule specify the port where your mailserver is listening for incoming connections.
(Default: 25)
SendmailModule::AuthUser:
If "SMTP/SMTPS" was selected for SendmailModule and you need to authenticate to your mailserver, specify the username.
(Default: MailserverLogin)
SendmailModule::AuthPassword:
If "SMTP/SMTPS" was selected for SendmailModule and you need to authenticate to your mailserver, specify the password.
(Default: MailserverPassword)

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=13287
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS or SSL: smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587
Port for SSL: 465
Account Name: your full email address (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com)
Email Address: your email address (username@gmail.com or username@your_domain.com)
Password: your Gmail password
Unless you're using recent mode to download mail to multiple clients, make sure you've opted not to leave messages on the server. Your Gmail settings determine whether or not messages stay on the server, so this setting in your client won't affect how Gmail handles your mail.

Please note that if your client does not support SMTP authentication, you won't be able to send mail through your client using your Gmail address.

Also, if you're having trouble sending mail but you've confirmed that encryption is active for SMTP in your mail client, try to configure your SMTP server on a different port: 465 or 587.
taskeen
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4.4

Post by taskeen »

Mike,

"" Eventually, we will probably build in support for multiple SMTP backends in OTRS. ""

Does this confirm that as of 2.4.7 OTRS does not support multiple SMTP servers ?
and there is no way to relate queue with an SMTP server ?

Taskeen
OTRS 2.4.4
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

Yes, there is only one SMTP Server Config at the moment
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
thommy_h
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.6

Post by thommy_h »

jojo wrote:Yes, there is only one SMTP Server Config at the moment
I guess this is still state of the art since I did not find any hint on how to configure multiple smtp accounts.

The last few days I have tested some ticket systems and OTRS is very impressive. But we have to use multiple pop3/smtp accounts from multiple email domains.

We offer a White label product. We offer a kind of white label product support, too. Our partners provide us pop3/smtp account from their domain, and we take care of all customers support request using our partners brand name.

So
request to support@brand-one.example have to be answered with support@brand-one.example,
request to question@brand-two.example have to be answered with question@brand-two.example,

Our partners are no tech-geeks. So it is no option to reconfigure their mail server to accept emails from our server. Probably most of them does not have access to the mail server since they a running a small web hosting package.

OTRS seems to be so powerful, but can not handle this case?

cheers,
th
renee
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 3.0.x
Company: Perl-Services.de

Post by renee »

If you run OTRS > 3.0.x, you can use the MultiSMTP package: http://opar.perl-services.de/bin/index. ... /MultiSMTP
Need a Perl/OTRS developer? You can contact me at info@perl-services.de