Very slow page refresh and reload

Moderator: crythias

SaumyaS
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.1.8
Company: Cybertech Systems and Software ltd.

Very slow page refresh and reload

Post by SaumyaS »

Hi all,

We are running OTRS Version 3.1.8 on an AMAZON EC2 Instance (overWindows Server 2012).

The customers have been complaining that the system has a very bad response time when creating new tickets or, posting updates on existing tickets. The page does not refreshes and reloads for atleast 30-40 seconds after they click the "SUBMIT" button.
We have had similar feedbacks from our agents as well, who report it takes 30-40 seconds to post a reply (the note) on the ticket.

After viewing similar threads on the forum, I decided to set the Sendmail module in Framework->Core->Sendmail to DoNotSendEmail and test the system. There was a marked increase in the performance (90% faster than our old scenario).

Our OTRS application server is on AMAZON EC2 instance which resides North Virginia (USA) region.
SMTP Server configured for this is our Brightmail gateway which resides in Mumbai, India.
We have checked the path using tracert to trace the path that an IP packet takes to destination and found it takes 22hops, which I think is a possible cause for our bad response time.

We installed Microsoft IIS SMTP relay on our AMAZON instance and tested the system (with the Sendmail module set to SMTP). There was an improvement in performance (took about 20-25 seconds), but our customers are still not very satisfied.

Our customers pet peeve is the slow page refresh and reload. If there is a way, by which we can refresh the page instantaneously after Submit and let the email relay running in the background, that works for me. The customers are okay if they receive emails after some time.

I will be very thankful for any ideas or suggestions.
fcasal
Znuny wizard
Znuny Version: 6.0.18

Re: Very slow page refresh and reload

Post by fcasal »

You are using a very out of date version of otrs, so the best solution is to migrate from windows to linux, because otrs is not working on windows since severals years, and upgrade to a newer version, you will get many new options (otrs is in the version 6) and many inprovements and more compability with new technologys and browsers.
wurzel
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: x.x.x

Post by wurzel »

Hi,

you have to upgrade to a up to date OS and to a up to date OTRS.
You have to switch to linux/bsd based system as OTRS on windows is not supported.

regards
Florian
OTRS 8 SILVER (Prod)
OTRS 8 auf Debian 11 (Test)
Znuny 7.x latest version testing auf Debian 11

-- Ich beantworte keine Forums-Fragen PN - No PN please

I won't answer to unfriendly users any more. A greeting and regards are just polite.
SaumyaS
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.1.8
Company: Cybertech Systems and Software ltd.

Post by SaumyaS »

Hi fcasal and wurzel,

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I don't know how feasible it is for us to switch to linux at this point of time. I will definitely keep this in mind if nothing else works.
wurzel
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: x.x.x

Post by wurzel »

Hi,

It's your decision. But delays of 20 seconds is really bad. It costs money! 20 Tickets a day, 200 articles = 200 x 20 seconds is round about one hour extra time for your agents. If I would be an agent of yours, I would decline working with a tool that slow.

Working with a non secure version (latest is version 6!) is not only careless but you miss modern and cool features, too.

Please think about asking the vendor or other suppliers for help.

regards
Florian
OTRS 8 SILVER (Prod)
OTRS 8 auf Debian 11 (Test)
Znuny 7.x latest version testing auf Debian 11

-- Ich beantworte keine Forums-Fragen PN - No PN please

I won't answer to unfriendly users any more. A greeting and regards are just polite.