Failed update..

Moderator: crythias

thatguy000
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.06xxx

Failed update..

Post by thatguy000 »

Hello --

Last night, I tried to update from 6.06 to the latest 6.08 (on Ubuntu 16.04). I followed the update instructions to the letter and was able to get the interface back up on the current version. One problem that occurred was during the DBUpdate-to-6.pl, it errored on the default_character_set_name, which was latin1, but it was expecting utf8. I manually changed that on the db (setting both char_set and collation to utf8) and DBUpdate-to-6 completed successfully.

However, Queue View showed NO queues at all (just "My Queues (0)"). All tickets were still accessible thru other means (searches, dashboard ticket lists, etc) and functionality seemed fine. I tested a new ticket that was auto-created via email, and that caused the Postmaster queue to show up in Queue view, but nothing else. Using phpMyAdmin, I compared data between the existing and new tickets and could find no difference. I re-saved (no changes, just open-save-close) each queue with no effect.

After 2hrs of that, I restored from backup and we're back on 6.06, except now just One of our queues refuses to show up in Queue View (it was our busiest queue). What is the logic that controls which queues show up? Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this odd behavior? I'm at a loss and my boss is giving me angry looks.

Thanks in advance.
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Re: Failed update..

Post by jojo »

latin1 is not supported since years and the migration to OTRS6 should have complained already. Your issue sounds like a cache issue, did you delete all caches after database changes?
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
thatguy000
Znuny newbie

Post by thatguy000 »

Yes, I've just recently inherited this system from the previous admin.. We didn't overlap, so I couldn't ask about the OTRS history here, but best I can tell, they've been using this system since at least 2012 and I'm unaware of any previous update issues (or how they got around the previous compliance checks).

I don't see bin/otrs.DeleteCache.pl, so I just tried running "bin/otrs.Console.pl Main::Cache::Delete" (as user otrs) and got the following:
Error: Could not find Kernel::System::Console::Command::Main::Cache::Delete.
:(
thatguy000
Znuny newbie

Post by thatguy000 »

I found the typo in my last attempt..
Ok, I ran the otrs.Console.pl Maint::Cache::Delete
Deleting cache...
Done.

Now I'm showing all tickets that used to be in the IT Queue are showing in the Postmaster queue (old and new tickets), and the IT Queue is still not displayed, tho it's accessible from the Queue config screen.

At this point, I'm wondering if there's a way to export all data, do a fresh OTRS install of the latest version, then import all existing data into a clean database. Would that help anything, or just cause data corruption issues?
thatguy000
Znuny newbie

Post by thatguy000 »

After rolling back to 6.06 from the previous failed attempt (and getting everything back to normal), I attempted the update from 6.06 to 6.08 again (with a full vm backup). I followed the steps exactly again, and again, I'm left with no queues showing. I even tried deleting the cache after the update, per jojo's suggestion above, still nothing in QueueView. I tried to create a new queue from scratch - even that one doesn't show.

Here's a comparison image showing 6.06 pre-update, where all queues and ticket counts are visible, and 6.08 post-update where no queues are visible.
Untitled.png
Does anyone have any thoughts on where to go from here? What can I check?
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.