Moderator: crythias

Bharath
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.3.9
Company: EngageIT

OTRS on Ubuntu 12.04 or 14.04?

Post by Bharath »

Hello Everyone,

I was using OTRS 3.3.9 appliance, i felt that debian linux provided appliance was not good for upgradation or for setting up disaster recovery, or installing additional packages and so on. I want to setup OTRS on Ubuntu but I find no mention if OTRS works better on Ubuntu 12.04 or Ubuntu 14.04.

Please advice.

Thank you.
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Re: OTRS on Ubuntu 12.04 or 14.04?

Post by crythias »

So, your concern is that you don't like the appliance that's specifically designed and configured to run OTRS exclusively, so you want to change OS and install whatever you want?

So create a VM and start at it. There's no magic to installing this based upon distribution. http://otrs.github.io/doc/manual/admin/ ... -otrs.html
http://otrs.github.io/doc/manual/admin/ ... -otrs.html
http://otrs.github.io/doc/manual/admin/ ... -on-debian
The documentaion wrote:Important Please install OTRS from source, and do not use the OTRS packages that Debian/Ubuntu provides.
The installation of required Perl modules is easier if you use the available packages:

Code: Select all

apt-get install libapache2-mod-perl2 libdbd-mysql-perl libtimedate-perl libnet-dns-perl \
    libnet-ldap-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl libpdf-api2-perl libdbd-mysql-perl libsoap-lite-perl \
    libgd-text-perl libtext-csv-xs-perl libjson-xs-perl libgd-graph-perl libapache-dbi-perl
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
Bharath
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.3.9
Company: EngageIT

Post by Bharath »

Thanks Crythias,

Yes i thought running on ubuntu would be easier for me to configure and setup, I'm not against the appliance prepared by otrs but while I was trying to upgrade postgres from 8.4 to 9.3 to get the feature Streaming Replication, i have run into problems as mentioned below, I checked with debian support on an irc channel and they couldn't help, i thought this would be easier on ubuntu, but if i could get this sorted out I wouldn't mind staying on the appliance.
supported_versions: WARNING: /etc/os-release and lsb_release not present, unknown distribution
/usr/share/postgresql-common/supported-versions: 206: RELEASE: parameter not set
dpkg: error processing postgresql-common (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of postgresql-9.3:
postgresql-9.3 depends on postgresql-common (>= 142~); however:
Package postgresql-common is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing postgresql-9.3 (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
configured to not write apport reports
configured to not write apport reports
Errors were encountered while processing:
postgresql-common
postgresql-9.3
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
jevans
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 4.0.2
Company: Higher Information Group

Post by jevans »

We run Mostly Ubuntu and Debian, I use centos 6.5 for otrs, rpm upgrades are way easier and rarely have an issue with it.

Worth the learning curve.

My $0.02