Administration with restricted powers

Moderator: crythias

gdavid
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.1.10

Administration with restricted powers

Post by gdavid »

Hi. Does anyone found a trick to create a "managers" group of agents with restricted admin capabilities? I need some special agnts to be able to change normal agents passwords and group assignements, but I want them to be NOT able to change "admin" account properties and I need them to be not able to associate thamselves to the "administrators" group.
Thanks for any clue!
g
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Re: Administration with restricted powers

Post by jojo »

not possible
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
arvas
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.11

Post by arvas »

jojo, im not a programmer but i dont think anything is impossible on OTRS, after all its opensource.
Perhaps if somebody who knew the code really well created an additional admin page to redirect such admins there instead of the standard page and limit the items they could see? It would however not be a 'trick' and ofcourse require a professional with professional charges.
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

Arvas, while I agree in principle with your statement, once you allow someone to change the password of other users and assign groups, it is generally impractical to say, "oh, but I don't mean *that* user. Oh, and don't change *my* password, either!".

Of course, if you want to change the code that does that to specifically prevent certain people from changing certain other people's passwords or groups, you are welcome to try to make that change.
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
arvas
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.11

Post by arvas »

hmmm that does sound complicated...
i jumped the gun and did not read that he wanted certain people to modify certain peoples passwords sorry ><
still not impossible, but it is impractical, difficult and expensive.
Perhaps if it was hardcoded that if a manager role is signed into the administration only display junior role at the users part.
Of course easier said then done.
I would definitely try if i was familiar with the language otrs was made on the system is so darn stable and useful, but alas my programming skills are at the level of a noob!
I do get why david is trying to get that feature, it does sound reasonable in a live environment.
But in all honesty david even if you DIY on this it does not take up too much time.
Perhaps OTRS 4.0 (or 5.0) should consider a feature of more stringent controls for administration? ;)