Troubles with IE9

Moderator: crythias

pakirby
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.2.1
Company: MAM

Troubles with IE9

Post by pakirby »

We are deploying Internet Explorer 9 to our agents but ran into a little snag. The Spell Check function is not working when creating a new email ticket or when responding to a submitted ticket. When we click the button to open Spell Check, it opens the secondary window like it should but rather than a review of text in the ticket (with highlighted spelling errors), we get the following message: "This page cannot be displayed. The window was not opened from another window."

This only happens in IE9; the function works appropriately in IE8, Chrome, and Firefox. That said, the default browser will soon be IE9 on every agent's computer and management would like to keep the default as IE9.
Last edited by pakirby on 15 Dec 2011, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
OTRS 3.2.1
CentOs 5.7
MySQL
pakirby
Znuny newbie

Re: Spell Check Broken in IE9

Post by pakirby »

We have discovered further issues when using IE9.

When typing and pressing the Enter key to do line breaks, the cursor will move down a single line no matter how many times you hit Enter. The system will continue to create line breaks that you can manually move the cursor through, but it will not move down on its own.

Another formatting issue is when applying bullet points to selected text. Upon click the Bullet button, the entire email gets bulleted. We can then go back and highlight everything we do not want bulleted and undo the bullet formatting.

The same thing happens when we use numbered bullets, forced indentions, or alignment changes.

I have not found any posts of other people having these difficulties with IE9. Is it because we are on v3.0.10 rather than the latest .11? It doesn't seem like that would be the issue, but we are very open to suggestions.
OTRS 3.2.1
CentOs 5.7
MySQL
bin
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3

Re: Troubles with IE9

Post by bin »

Hi

I don't have acces to IE9 right now, but my company is an ASP and we have found a number of issues with IE9 and our own web based product.

Many of these issues have been resolved (short term) by running IE9 in Compatibilty Mode - under the Tools menu.

You may have already tried this, if so I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

Bin
pakirby
Znuny newbie

Post by pakirby »

Thank you for the reply!

Unfortunately, setting IE9 to run in compatibility mode does not fix these issues for us. The page will still load properly and create/send new email tickets, it just experiences the above issues as well.
OTRS 3.2.1
CentOs 5.7
MySQL
bin
Znuny newbie

Post by bin »

Do you have popup blocker turned off, or do you enable popups for specific sites?

If the latter, may be worth turning off blocker?

I'd suggest running Fiddler whilst trying to use the spell checker to see what it is trying to do - it will give you some idea of what page load errors are occurring.

bin
pakirby
Znuny newbie

Post by pakirby »

We aren't running a popup blocker and the overlay popup does show up like it should; it just gives that error message instead of showing email content.

Good idea on Fiddler! I'll give that a go and see what's happening.
OTRS 3.2.1
CentOs 5.7
MySQL
pakirby
Znuny newbie

Post by pakirby »

I ran Fiddler when using OTRS in both IE9 and Firefox. The debugger showed the same information on both when doing the same actions and no error flags are presented.
OTRS 3.2.1
CentOs 5.7
MySQL
bin
Znuny newbie

Post by bin »

Right, I've installed spell checker on our system and agree with your findings.

The problem stems from the way IE9 interprets the window open command in spellchecker.html - this was one source of help on the subject, but the code change suggested itself did not seem to work after I made the changes on my system. Now, that may be because I didn't put it in the right place in the file - but anyway it does point up why you're seeing this problem

http://cksource.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 3c8b1e681a

I hope someone more at home with code can help resolve this - it seems it should be easy once you know the source of the probelm - Microsoft! Sorry I cannot be of more assistance.

bin
pakirby
Znuny newbie

Post by pakirby »

Why apologize? You've been a great help! Now to dig around in the code of that plugin and see what we find. :)
OTRS 3.2.1
CentOs 5.7
MySQL
Mike_B
Znuny Version: CVS HEAD

Post by Mike_B »

huntingbears.nl - @michielbeijen on Twitter