AutoInkrement reset and started over.

Moderator: crythias

KimmoJ
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.0.22
Company: Transmar Ab

AutoInkrement reset and started over.

Post by KimmoJ »

I was trying to get my groups access to the Customers button (since my users aren't in the generic "users" group at all, they're in their own groups, so I had to give those groups that admin right.)

Somehow I managed to reset the counter for our case ID's. I have no idea how that happened, but suddenly it started autoincrementing from zero (or "10001" since we started there). This is not ideal since the case numbers now don't get sorted properly when people reply, and I have no idea if having two cases with the case number "10005" is a Bad Thing... just to be on the safe(er) side I switched the autoinkrement format to a date based case number generation just so there wouldn't be multiple cases with the same number but I wonder how I managed to get that counter to reset?

Perhaps I should set the "expert" mode to "beginner" in the sysconfig! :)
Lorenzo_Marschall
Znuny advanced
Znuny Version: 2.4 / 3.x
Company: bmsoft information technologies GmbH

Re: AutoInkrement reset and started over.

Post by Lorenzo_Marschall »

Check
SysConfig => Ticket::NumberGenerator
and in your filesystem
/<otrs-path>/var/log/TicketCounter.log

Should fix it. hth, Lorenzo
OTRS + ITSM + PostgreSQL @ Debian
KimmoJ
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.0.22
Company: Transmar Ab

Re: AutoInkrement reset and started over.

Post by KimmoJ »

Thanks for the info! The TicketCounter.log contains the number 9 (right now) and the NumberGenerator area is now set to date instead of autoincrement (I already set that earlier.)

I still have no idea how the number was set to 9, it was in the thousands before this glitch or whatever it was I managed to do.

Does OTRS use these numbers internally somehow except to keep track of emails coming in? It would suck if old cases got overwritten or vanished just cause the ticketcounter was reset. I'm presuming it's not quite that fragile... :)