Moderator: crythias

Giulio Soleni
Znuny wizard
Znuny Version: 6.0.x and 5.0.x
Company: IKS srl

CentOS Upgrade OTRS 3.0.8 to 3.0.10 with ITSM and FAQ

Post by Giulio Soleni »

Hi,
as already mentioned for Windows on a previous post http://forums.otrs.org/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=10427 I am trying the better way to upgrade from one version to another having all ITSM and FAQ modules already installed + some customized files.

I am upgrading a test server which is a sort of clone of the production server.
The steps I followed were:

1. Take a backup of the current (just in case...)

2. Stop all relevant services
2.a service otrs stop
2.b service crond stop
2.c service httpd stop

3. Install the new release
rpm -Uvh otrs-3.0.10-01.noarch.rpm
The installation goes through some warnings:
Check OTRS user ... otrs exists.
1:otrs warning: /opt/otrs/Kernel/Output/HTML/Standard/CustomerTicketMessage.dtl created as /opt/otrs/Kernel/Output/HTML/Standard/CustomerTicketMessage.dtl.rpmnew
warning: /opt/otrs/Kernel/Output/HTML/Standard/CustomerTicketPrint.dtl created as /opt/otrs/Kernel/Output/HTML/Standard/CustomerTicketPrint.dtl.rpmnew
warning: /opt/otrs/Kernel/Output/HTML/Standard/CustomerTicketZoom.dtl created as /opt/otrs/Kernel/Output/HTML/Standard/CustomerTicketZoom.dtl.rpmnew

4. Check for the custom files that have to be edited/restored (this is a delicate job)

5. Refresh the configuration and delete caches
5.a otrs.RebuildConfig.pl
5.b otrs.DeleteCache.pl

6. Restart all services
6.a service httpd start
6.b service crond start
6.c service otrs start

After relogging to the agent console as root@localhost I noticed that three ITSM modules were reported as "damaged" and should be reinstalled, I proceeded with the re-installation of
ITSM Core
ITSM ConfigurationManagement
ITSM IncidentProblemManagement

There was also some minor configuration to be set up in particular for the apache2-perl-startup.pl file ... I had to restore the "use Apache::DBI ();" and "Apache::DBI->connect_on_init('DBI:mysql:otrs', 'otrs', 'my-pass');"

That's all ... BUT still I have 2 questions:
1. what about the *rpmnew files that were not updated during the new rpm installation? I think that the changes in the files were somehow related to the ITSM modules but now I have still the old versions of that 3 files on my system
2. For now I did not perform any configuration related to ITSM, but whenever I finally had some... what should I expect to do with a new update? In other words, when I re-installed the "corrupted" ITSM packages an info told me something like "warn!... you will return to default ITSM configuration, any customization will be lost."

On the post related to the Windows system, OTRS has been uninstalled and re-installed with the new version. Do you think this is the only way to be sure that everything is correctly updated? Is there any possible danger to loose some data in the backup/restore operation in this case?

Thank you in advance.
Giulio
OTRS 6.0.x on CentOS 7.x with MariaDB 10.2.x database connected to an Active Directory for Agents and Customers.
ITSM and FAQ modules installed.
MichaelR
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 3.0.9
Company: LRS Health

Re: CentOS Upgrade OTRS 3.0.8 to 3.0.10 with ITSM and FAQ

Post by MichaelR »

I only have it installed on Windows, so in answer to that, you need to uninstall OTRS then reinstall it. No way around it. (well there is, but it's complicated)
OTRS: 3.0.9 & ITSM 3.0.4 - OS: Windows 7 - DB: MySQL - Heaps of random/useful hacks :)
[Major Code Changes]
ArticleFreeTime1-3
Ability to search ArticleFreeText
jailbreak
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: Noned

Post by jailbreak »

MichaelR wrote:I only have it installed on Windows, so in answer to that, you need to uninstall OTRS then reinstall it. No way around it. (well there is e cig, but it's complicated)
Without installing windows how can i process that. Please if there any system then explain it.
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

there is no need to deinstall and reinstall either OTRS or any of the modules on Linux
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com