No new ticket notifications for tickets created by agents

Moderator: crythias

gs71
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.8

No new ticket notifications for tickets created by agents

Post by gs71 »

Hi,
I have been using OTRS v3.0.5 for few months, and now suddenly I have a problem with "New ticket" notifications.

When a customer creates a ticket the "New ticket" notification is correctly sent to concerned agents.
But when an agent creates a ticket (via "New phone ticket" or "New email ticket") NO notification is sent.
All other types of notifications (even two event-based notifications I created, for ticket closing and adding notes) are correctly sent.

I tried to verify all possible settings and logs but I cannot find out the cause: when an agent creates a ticket, no mail notification is sent, no matter what customer/owner/queue is selected.
I also upgraded OTRS to v3.0.8 but the problem persists.
Enabling Debug does not help either.
Strange is that it has worked perfectly for months.

Can you help me find out why notifications are not sent anymore in this particular case?

As a workaround I could create an event-based notification in case of ticket creation, but I would prefer to actually fix the bug.

Thanks for your help.
ferrosti
Znuny superhero
Znuny Version: 3.0

Re: No new ticket notifications for tickets created by agent

Post by ferrosti »

Please make sure that these agents do have these queues, where the tickets are created, selected for 'my queues' in their preferences.
openSuSE on ESX
IT-Helpdesk: OTRS 3.0
Customer Service: OTRS 3.0 (upgraded from 2.3)
Customer Service (subsidiary): OTRS 3.0
+additional test and development systems
gs71
Znuny newbie

Post by gs71 »

That's the first thing I checked, both in the Admin interface and directly into the mysql db (table personal_queues).
Some agents even have all queues in their list.

But no notification at all is sent when an agents creates a ticket...

I know perl and I could debug the scripts, but it's quite hard to find where to look exactly. Can someone point me to the right direction?
Which are the files that decide if/where a NewTicket notification is sent?

Thanks
gs71
Znuny newbie

Re: No new ticket notifications for tickets ... [SOLVED]

Post by gs71 »

Damn... looking at the otrs logfile I just found out that the system has always behaved like this.

When creating a phone ticket, only the owner receives a "OwnerUpdate" notification (unless he's creating the ticket).
No "NewTicket" notification is sent at all.

So if I want a NewTicket notification for all agents belonging to the queue I will need to setup an event-based notification.

Sorry for the false alert.
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

When assigning an owner, there's no need to alert anyone but the owner of the new ticket. Nobody else should be able to address the ticket, so why tell them about it? And if you're assigning the ticket to yourself, it's silly to be alerted to it.
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
gs71
Znuny newbie

Post by gs71 »

That's crazy! Right after posting my last message I created a new phone ticket (owner: myself), and this time... all agents in that queue received a "NewTicket" notification!

That's the behaviour I prefer: agents working on the same queue may be interested to know about new tickets, even if they are not owners.

But... then I created other tickets (some of them IDENTICAL to the previous), and no NewTicket notification was sent :(

I really don't understand why for phone tickets sometimes notifications are sent, sometimes not, and what should be the "correct" behaviour of OTRS.
troffasky
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.2.8

Post by troffasky »

Have a look at what the OTRS log says for the times when the two tickets were created. Any errors?
OTRS 3.2.8 on Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS
gs71
Znuny newbie

Post by gs71 »

Here the OTRS log concerning these last tickets:

[Fri Jun 10 14:13:42 2011][Notice][Kernel::System::Ticket::TicketCreate] New Ticket [0448/ABC] created (TicketID=448,Queue=Virus administration,Priority=normal,State=open)
[Fri Jun 10 14:13:42 2011][Notice][Kernel::System::Ticket::Article::SendAgentNotification] Sent agent 'NewTicket' notification to 'agent1@mydomain.com'.
[Fri Jun 10 14:13:43 2011][Notice][Kernel::System::Ticket::Article::SendAgentNotification] Sent agent 'NewTicket' notification to 'agent2@mydomain.com'.
[Fri Jun 10 14:13:43 2011][Notice][Kernel::System::Ticket::Article::SendAgentNotification] Sent agent 'NewTicket' notification to 'agent3@mydomain.com'.
[Fri Jun 10 14:27:02 2011][Notice][Kernel::System::Ticket::TicketCreate] New Ticket [0449/ABC] created (TicketID=449,Queue=Virus administration,Priority=normal,State=open)
[Fri Jun 10 14:27:34 2011][Notice][Kernel::System::Ticket::TicketCreate] New Ticket [0450/Test 1] created (TicketID=450,Queue=Virus administration,Priority=high,State=open)
[Fri Jun 10 14:28:11 2011][Notice][Kernel::System::Ticket::TicketCreate] New Ticket [0451/test 2] created (TicketID=451,Queue=Virus administration,Priority=high,State=open)
[Fri Jun 10 14:29:09 2011][Notice][Kernel::System::Ticket::TicketCreate] New Ticket [0452/test 3] created (TicketID=452,Queue=Virus administration,Priority=high,State=open)

Which kind of errors should I look for in this log?
crythias

Post by crythias »

No errors, but it won't show a notice for things it doesn't do... Which means according to OTRS, it's working how it should, but of course not how you want it.
If you want to add a Notification (Event) go right ahead.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
gs71
Znuny newbie

Post by gs71 »

I can create the Notification (Event) as a workaround, but I would like to understand 2 things:

- is OTRS supposed to send NewTicket notifications when a Phone Ticket is created?

- why sometimes it sends notifications and sometimes not (see my previous log)?
crythias

Post by crythias »

The log doesn't tell me who the creator of the ticket is and who the assigned owner is. It also doesn't tell me the ticket type (Phone/Email) so I can't verify the answer.
gs71
Znuny newbie

Post by gs71 »

All the tickets in the log are Phone Tickets, all created by the same agent (myself), all belong to the same queue.
First and second have also the same subject, text and priority.
For the others I changed text and priority.

Result: only the first one triggered the NewTicket notifications, the others not.

I also tried to logout and login again, nothing changes: now any phone ticket I create do not trigger any NewTicket notification.
crythias

Post by crythias »

crythias wrote:who the assigned owner is
gs71
Znuny newbie

Post by gs71 »

Assigned owner is always myself, even in the first case, when notifications have been sent to all agents, including me.
I also tried to assign other owners, still no notifications.

If OTRS is supposed not to send NewTicket notifications for phone tickets, it's fine for me, I will create event-based notifications.

But why sometimes it sends NewTicket notifications even if not supposed to? Can it be related to expired sessions/cookies or something like that?
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

OTRS will only send the notifications if no owner is set manually (because this will lock the ticket)
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
gs71
Znuny newbie

Post by gs71 »

Your last post enlightened me, now I get it!! :D

In my first try I must have forgotten to select the owner, that's why all agents got notifications!
Then everytime I choose an owner no notification is sent.

All makes perfectly sense now.

Thank you very much for your help!
crythias

Post by crythias »

:) Thanks, jojo.
pituca
Znuny advanced
Znuny Version: 5.0.9
Company: OmniRedes

Post by pituca »

Hello guys,

I have a similar issue. I have test user to create the ticket in the customer portal. I have set the new e-mail notifications to "YES" and selected all queues including "Raw" in "My Queues" it was working nicely for about a month until I made the final presentation to the managers last Tuestay Jan 15. The owner notification doesn't show in the history of the ticket and the same in the log and no errors.

Its obvious that I changed something but where could I check?

Thank you so much in advance.

I use OTRS 3.1.11 for Windows.
Hola XXXX,

Hay un nuevo ticket en la cola Service Desk!

xxxx xxxx <xxxxx@xxxxxxx.com> wrote:

No tengo Internet.

http://xxxxxx/otrs/index.pl?Action=Agen ... cketID=128

Your OTRS Notification Master
OTRS 5.0.9, , ITSM 5.0.9, MySQL, Ubuntu 14.04, Apache2
crythias

Post by crythias »

Verify:
Customer new ticket submits to a queue that the agent has selected in "My Queues"
Agent has new ticket notification yes
there is no *owner* until an agent locks the ticket.
pituca
Znuny advanced

Post by pituca »

Thank you so much crythias, I was sticking around waiting for you. Check this out... Now it worked with a test I did. I discovered something that im not sure if has something to do with that. Every time I login (Im using LDAP) the system change my e-mail address and set my username as e-mail address. Why it happen? Anyways im going to let the system change it again and create a new ticket and see what happen.

I Verified:
Customer new ticket submits to a queue that the agent has selected in "My Queues"
Agent has new ticket notification yes but every new ticket has the system as owner, is that the way it is?

I will confirm you right after a make another test so you can document it.

Thank you so much once again.
pituca
Znuny advanced

Post by pituca »

I just did another test and effectively the issue here is that whenever I login the system set my username as email address. Do you know where can I modify that configuration? I remember you im using LDAP. OTRS 3.1.11.
crythias

Post by crythias »

login doesn't affect notifications. Create a new forum topic for each of your concerns. This forum is too old to resurrect for this purpose.
pituca
Znuny advanced

Post by pituca »

Ok I will, thank you.
anwar
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: OTRS-4
Company: National Guard

Re: No new ticket notifications for tickets created by agents

Post by anwar »

Dear OTRS Member

Can anyone help me to configure email notification to the customer and agent. when customer create a ticket in customer portal he's getting auto response but not getting email notification through his personal mail id...
i am using OTRS 4 version.
Please help me someone to solve this problem...

Thanks and regards
Anwar
you can mail me this answer to my direct mail id.. anwarmdkhan368@gmail.com
quickndirty
Znuny newbie

Re: No new ticket notifications for tickets created by agents

Post by quickndirty »

Hello everybody,

I know this thread is not in any way up-to-date. But actually, for me it is. I recently repeatedly got complaints from co-workers whose (correctly configured) agent notifications didn't work when I split tickets into their queue... Here's my case:
  • I split the ticket, not setting owner explicitly, hence I am the default owner, no ticket lock, agent notification is working correctly, but even w/out lock I don't want to be the owner because I don't work in that team or queue
  • I split the ticket, set owner explicitly to Admin OTRS (special case here: I configured a Generic Agent job to always remove the ticket lock if owner is set to Admin, MOD, or TEAM), hence the owner is directly set as intended, but agent notification is not working because owner was set explicitly
I know, we are not exactly using the lock and agents as intended by OTRS. But that is our way: if there is an owner that is not Admin / TEAM / MOD (non-person placeholder agents to reflect the actual dispatch state), we assume that the specific owner is indeed working on that ticket, even if there is no active lock. The active lock itself only ensures that there will be no interference from other agents during work, but it is configured to unlock after 48 hours in each queue by default.

So it would be elegant to be able to explicitly set one of the placeholder agents (give ticket back to default or team or dispatch) AND having the agent notifications work correctly, at least upon agent ticket creation. The only idea I have so far is:
  • disable explicit owner setting in agent ticket creation so that the notification will work, but this is not even possible at the moment (no corresponding option in Ticket → Frontend::Agent::Ticket::ViewPhoneNew or Ticket → Frontend::Agent::Ticket::ViewEmailNew) and also one would have to remove oneself from the owner field manually each time after ticket creation, so this wouldn't even be convenient anyway
  • disable the placeholder agents we so successfully work with (no one is able to use those virtual agent accounts directly, of course, but they are awfully useful nonetheless)
So far, I did not edit/change/supplement any of the stock OTRS code or scripts for any of our use cases, still everything vanilla, so maintenance and updates have been effortless so far and I'd like to keep it that way. (Although we may be using external opm expansion packets in the future.) But any idea remotely helpful to this matter is very welcome.

Cheers!
qnd

edit: I just found out I had a relating issue years ago already. Still interested in the solution, obviously. :)
https://forums.otterhub.org/viewtopic.p ... 36#p140636