Thinking about evaluating OTRS - Couple of questions

Moderator: crythias

timjwatts
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2

Thinking about evaluating OTRS - Couple of questions

Post by timjwatts »

Hi,

We're using Mantis right now to manage tickets across 50 projects and it's not very good. just tried Redmine and that doesn't seem to do what we want either (though writing a plugin might fix that).

Wondered, before I spend loads of time installing and trying OTRS, whether anyone could quickly say "yes" or "no" to a few of our key features that we need:

1) We need a queue per project (so 50 odd)

2) PAM auth for user sign in (I *think* it can do this via apache auth??) (currently PAM leads to LDAP auth, but in future is likely to be Kerberos)

3) Workflow: Generally a ticket goes in to a known queue by project, unassigned. It will be picked up or given to someone.

3a) Someone else might want to "watch" that issue (ie get emails on updates)
3b) The assignee (often me as the sysadmin) may want to bounce a question back to the reporter and block the job as "waiting for user" WREQ style
3c) I'd kind of like to not see a "waiting for user job" until the reporter replies (which ideally will flip the "waiting for user" off).
3d) Job gets various updates until resolved.

4) Full text search across all queues

5) Email inbound address associated with each queue.

6) Usual array of customised filtered views (eg I want to see all jobs assigned to me with and without the "waiting for user". Others may want to see all open issues for one project/queue.

7) Optin/Optout of email-outs from OTRS.

Assuming there's a "yes" to most of those, I notice Debian 6 has the OTRS 2.4.9 package. Is this a reasonable place to start or is it worth hand installing v3?

Many thanks for any tips on the above :)

Cheers

Tim
mshi
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0

Re: Thinking about evaluating OTRS - Couple of questions

Post by mshi »

Good questions!

OTRS can fit all your requirements.

Sugguest you to evaluate the latest version of OTRS.

Mshi
OTRS: 3.0.7
ITSM: 3.0.2
Running on: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with MySQL, integrated with MS 2003 Active Directory Server
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

Install version 3.
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
timjwatts
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2

Post by timjwatts »

Thank you both :)

I will do that - and if you think v3 would be best, I'll try that...

Cheers!

Tim