Backup/restore on windows server 2003

Moderator: crythias

Aleksandar
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.7

Backup/restore on windows server 2003

Post by Aleksandar »

Is there a regular backup system?
First of all, how do you make full OTRS system backup, so In case the machine with the OTRS installed crashes, you can just use the created backup and restore the full OTRS program and not loose important data, informations and configuration like CMDB, tickets, customers, companies, queues ect. or all admin interface?
If there isn't simple way of doing that like i described, please tell me what is the most common procedure or way to prevent loosing all of OTRS, and have secondary backup and breath easily if the primary server crashes. Also i use windows server 2003 OS.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Re: Backup/restore on windows server 2003

Post by crythias »

OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
Aleksandar
Znuny newbie

Post by Aleksandar »

YES BUT FOR WINDOWS SERVER 2003??????
crythias

Post by crythias »

The lmgtfy search link shows you links, one of which has the word Windows in it...
http://forums.otrs.org/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=5144
And a link in there to an FAQ
http://faq.otrs.org/otrs/public.pl?Acti ... ItemID=325

I don't mind helping, but the question has been asked and answered.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Aleksandar
Znuny newbie

Post by Aleksandar »

i am really glad that you answer every question with links and google search, but i tried that already and i had read all of the problems and answers connected with difficulties trying to have backup of OTRS on windows server 2003. So i am new in this OTRS backup procedure and i did as much as i can like this:

1. i installed cygwin unix tools for windows.

2. i created a batch file , OTRS_backup.bat, in order to run the backup.pl, here is:

set path=%path%;c:\otrs\mysql\bin;
cd otrs
perl scripts\mybackup.pl -d \\backupserver\backupdata\otrs cd ..

(mybackup.pl is edited script from original installed backup.pl script. editions are made from the answers that i had read it. )

3.i put this batch file, OTRS_backup, in c:\program files\OTRS directory(folder that is OTRS program installed)

4.and i run it from Command prompt(cmd) :
c:\program files\OTRS>OTRS_backup.bat
and everything goes well till i get this error:

C:\Program Files\OTRS\OTRS>perl scripts\mybackup.pl -d \backupserver\backupdata\otrs
ERROR: No such directory: \backupserver\backupdata\otrs

even though i had created this directories(folders) in C:\Program Files\OTRS and C:\Program Files\OTRS\OTRS and C:\Program Files\OTRS\OTRS\scripts :(
also i tried this with original backup.pl and different already existing folders for -d \backupserver\backupdata\otrs like -d \scripts etc.

HERE IS ALL OF IT:
C:\Program Files\OTRS>OTRS_backup.bat

C:\Program Files\OTRS>set path=C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;
C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\OTRS\StrawberryPerl\site\bi
n;C:\Program Files\OTRS\StrawberryPerl\perl\bin;C:\Program Files\OTRS\Strawberry
Perl\c\bin;c:\otrs\mysql\bin;

C:\Program Files\OTRS>cd otrs

C:\Program Files\OTRS\OTRS>perl scripts\mybackup.pl -d \backupserver\backupdata\
otrs
ERROR: No such directory: \backupserver\backupdata\otrs

C:\Program Files\OTRS\OTRS>cd ..

C:\Program Files\OTRS>ver\backupdata\otrs
cd ..

So please if you can give me a walk trough how do i make this backup for entire OTRS. I will be really glad if you can help me i am stuck with this for a week. Or if it is a better way and more secure way of backing up the entire OTRS please tell me.

Best regards,
Aleksandar Stojanovski
archdruidardanos
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.5

Post by archdruidardanos »

Hello Aleksander,

for me it seems you mix unix command line with windows batch .... not such a good idea. As far as i know cygwin it emulates an linux environment on a windows system when it is called.
i would try to call cygwin via the batch file and parse the linux commands into new created shell.

the call should be looking like this. example:

cd c:\cygwin\bin
bash --login -i -c 'otrs\scripts\backup.pl -d \server\backuports\'

Hope this will do the trick ;). although i´m windows administrator i would avoid running linuxapps on a windows system if there is an opportiunity using a linux vm.

regards
Steffen
OTRS: 3.0.5 & ITSM 3.0.3 & FAQ 2.0.4 - OS: Ubuntu 10.04.02 LTS - DB: MySQL
Never trust a grinning admin!
crythias

Post by crythias »

I didn't know what you've tried. All you need to do is mysqldump and backup the otrs directory with your backup method of choice. Perl is already in the OTRS install, so you didn't need to cygwin anything.

Yes, I could have said this earlier, but I probably did before, which is why I linked to what I've already said.
MichaelR
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 3.0.9
Company: LRS Health

Post by MichaelR »

crythias wrote:Yes, I could have said this earlier, but I probably did before, which is why I linked to what I've already said.
He said what he said because he had to say it for reasons that have already been said :P

Do NOT use any linux stuff if you are backing up OTRS on windows.
1. Dump database, sysconfig settings, article storage
2. Uninstall OTRS + Install new version
3. Re-create database, import data
4. There is a youtube video lying around somewhere that details this.... I would point you to a google search, but you have already done it...
OTRS: 3.0.9 & ITSM 3.0.4 - OS: Windows 7 - DB: MySQL - Heaps of random/useful hacks :)
[Major Code Changes]
ArticleFreeTime1-3
Ability to search ArticleFreeText
Aleksandar
Znuny newbie

Post by Aleksandar »

Every of you posts were not helpful. After all you are maybe genius for OTRS and you cant fall down to a rookie level and explain it simply. My advice for you is to give more simplify answers for the beginners(like my self) or not give at all cos you make them more confused. As for that you can give simple step by step example how some one to solve a problem, and if you dont have time for that dont try to give links with answers who are at more experience level users.
By the way, i find my solution, and it would cost me less time if you had provide me with the right links :D

Best regards,
Aleksandar Stojanovski
crythias

Post by crythias »

Do tell us what you found out. All you had to do was ask appropriate questions and we'd provide appropriate answers. If you ask a general question, we'll provide general answers. If you want me to type out commands for you, then ask for it. Backing up is not an OTRS specific event. If you don't know how to export your database, run perl commands, search, tell us what works or doesn't work for you, we can't know how to help you.

I'm glad you figured it out, but I have no idea what your tech level is. Maybe I'll take this under advisement. Telling me my links aren't helpful isn't ... helpful for me to provide better service. I'd like to, and perhaps the others who browse this forum would be interested in what you encountered that fixed your issue. *That* would be helpful. Then I can point other rookies to your post.
guillo
Znuny newbie

Post by guillo »

MichaelR wrote:
Do NOT use any linux stuff if you are backing up OTRS on windows.
1. Dump database, sysconfig settings, article storage
2. Uninstall OTRS + Install new version
3. Re-create database, import data
4. There is a youtube video lying around somewhere that details this.... I would point you to a google search, but you have already done it...
Please steps 1 and 3... explain please. I've never used OTRS until last week and suddenly I was given the task to upgrade it from the 3.0.7 to the latest version. The expert who installed it is AWOL never to return.

I have to installations, one on Windows XP and the other one on Windows 2008. (The XP is for testing).

I'm dying out here, please help :(
Last edited by guillo on 07 Jun 2012, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
OTRS V 3.0.7 Windows 2008 x64 going for 3.1.7
OTRS 3.1.12 on LINUX UBUNTU SERVER
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

Hi,

you should have some database expertise for doing such a kind of work. Espescially if this is aproduction system. So your company should consider some professional support for the upgrade.

meanwhile you should read the MySQL admin documentation
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
guillo
Znuny newbie

Post by guillo »

Yeah, I know, but a DB expert is not easy to find these days where I live.

And the upgrade is kind of urgent... like.. they need it for yesterday. Life is though what can I say.

I know my way around Windows servers and some other things so I'm not completely helpless.
OTRS V 3.0.7 Windows 2008 x64 going for 3.1.7
OTRS 3.1.12 on LINUX UBUNTU SERVER
DevinRob
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.3.10

Post by DevinRob »

I responded to this same update question the other day:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=15617&p=59968#p59968

I also have a short walkthrough on how to backup a Windows OTRS system in the HowTo section:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=14901&p=57243#p57243

Just as a reference, I've since moved the Article storage to a separate folder that is backed-up nightly w/o zipping. It makes updates / restores much much easier.
OTRS 3.3.10 on Windows 2008 R2