ITSM link type usage

Moderator: crythias

gandalf
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0 Beta 3

ITSM link type usage

Post by gandalf »

hi!

After trying this question in the german part of this forum (without any answers) I hope that someone here has an answer for me... And sorry for the translation, not all the wording might be correct :-)

Is there a "built-in" usage for the links between CIs in the standard version of ITSM 3.0.5? Is it planned for the final version?

Reason: I linked some of my CIs and Services, like ServiceA "depends on" ComputerB. If I have an incident linked with ComputerB the icon goes red (fine!), but the ServiceA remains unchanged (although it "depends on" ComputerB. I would have expected that the link type "depends on" establishs a standard workflow for escalating the Incident State up the chain so that all other CIs which depend on that CI are also affected.

If this is not build in (and also not planned) could someone give me a hint where to start establishing an automatic workflow like I showed above... Please!

Help. Please! :-)

Yours, Ralf
gandalf
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0 Beta 3

Re: ITSM link type usage

Post by gandalf »

Ok, so since nobody answered this seems to be a rarely used feature...?

To make my problem a little more clear:
CI A (i.e. a virtual server) depends on CI B (i.e. an ESX server).
If B changes to Incident, A should reflect this by hanging into warning. So you can read it in the documentation (well not really, but in the change list somewhere...). Additionally (and in contrast to the documentation), if A changes to Incident, B will also change to warning.
Of course, when the ESX Server is Critical, the virtual server is affected, but when one of the virtual servers reboots or shuts down, that is most unlikely a reason for setting the ESX server to Warning...

I understand so far that only the "depends on" link type has an effect (so why not the other directional link types?), but only in the ITSM-2.x versions. It is not working in the ITSM-3.x-Versions (think I tested it unter 3.0 beta 3, and after downgrading to 2.x it worked). But: The direction of the link seems to be irrelevant, as found in bug report 5465:
currently this works as designed, so that the direction of the link has no relevance.
Is there really nobody using this feature in ITSM? I can't believe... This is NOT some kind of advanced system monitoring (although it might be used for it) but a very helpful instrument during Change Management (case studies like what will be affected if this server goes down and so on...)

ciao, ralf
rauluy
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4

Post by rauluy »

Hi Gandalf,
I'am having the same problem. I'am installing OTRS:ITSM Version 3 now.
I started working on CMDB building, and seems that the problem could be originated by the type of links
choosen for the CI´s.

Navigating on the configuration I found this :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit Config Settings in ITSM Core -> Core::ITSMCore
Reset this setting ITSM::Core::IncidentLinkType
Default value: DependsOn
Define el tipo de vínculo usado para calcular el estado del incidente.
(defines the link type used to calculate the incident state)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I changed this value to "relevant to" etc... but nothing happens.
After that, I created some CIs linked as "Depends On" to one Service and opened a ticket to them.
Nothing happens, the CI state remains the same.

Now we are two guys waiting for some help :-)

Regards, Raul
Uruguay
rauluy
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4

Post by rauluy »

Edit Config Settings in Framework -> Core::LinkObject

LinkObject::Type###DependsOn Clave Contenido
Remove this entry Remove this entry
Add new entry
Define el tipo de vínculo 'DependsOn'.
Si el SourceName y el TargetName contienen el mismo valor,
el resultado es un vínculo no direccionado. Si los valores son diferentes, el resultado es un vínculo direccionado.

Hi again,
Here you can find some definitions about links.
Hope it helps.
Brgds Raul
mturra
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.0.24
Company: Finmatica

Post by mturra »

Is there any docs about link types and behaviors?