I don't understand locked tickets

Moderator: crythias

thepurpleblob
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4.9

I don't understand locked tickets

Post by thepurpleblob »

Can somebody explain what locked tickets are. A ticket being locked doesn't seem to stop me working with it but it must mean something. New tickets all seem to come in locked.

Thanks
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Re: I don't understand locked tickets

Post by crythias »

New tickets shouldn't necessarily come in locked. They should only be locked when an agent is assigned (generally, if an agent does ... something... to a ticket, the ticket is locked to him.)

Locking the ticket prevents other agents from closing the ticket or addressing it while the ticket is locked.
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
thepurpleblob
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4.9

Post by thepurpleblob »

Oh ok... that makes sense. It isn't explained very well (or at all I think) in the docs.
frankson
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.3.4

Post by frankson »

I have the same problem, I didn't find either any documentation on locking. I trusted my intuition that told me: "Locked means, that anyone else can't do anything with this ticket" -- but I was wrong, as I had to realize. :?

I'm using otrs-2.3.4; I locked a ticket and edited an answer, and when I clicked on submit, an error was shown that I am not the owner of that ticket. So locking does not prevent others from taking ownership, is this true? And as far as I could see in first trials, there is nothing changed in otrs-3.0?

Maybe I can configure somewhere, that locking is handled much more rigid?
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

2.3.4 is so old at this point, your experience may differ...
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
frankson
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.3.4

Post by frankson »

frankson wrote:[...] And as far as I could see in first trials, there is nothing changed in otrs-3.0?
Am I right?
frankson wrote:Maybe I can configure somewhere, that locking is handled much more rigid?
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

tickets will be locked only to the owner.Some actions need to be performed by the owner only.

Other persones can take the ownership of a locked ticket via owner link in the ticket zoom (this will be needed if an agent is ill or on vacation.)
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
earwax
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.11

Post by earwax »

I assume those of you that still don't see the value in LOCK tickets are not working with multiple agents. I work with 6 other agents. I am not sure about the OTRS documentation on this, but the LOCK tickets is helpful as it prevents other agents from modifying the ticket unless they are the owner/responsible person for it. I do not want other agents messing with my tickets, and I don't want to accidentally mess up other agents' tickets. Now if you work by yourself, or maybe have another person, then this LOCK tickets might be useless since there's only the two of you. In that case, just turn off the LOCK tickets feature.
OTRS 3.0.12
Ubuntu Linux 10.04
MySQL