OTRS 7 / 8 vs Community Edition

Moderator: crythias

Snowmanko
OTRS newbie
OTRS Version?: 6.0.5-1

OTRS 7 / 8 vs Community Edition

Post by Snowmanko »

Hi,

I've heard there will be no more Community Editions of OTRS released in future and all versions will be payed.
Can someone confirm this info? Is it true that there will be no now upcomming releases available as Community Edition?

So this means OTRS 6 is last available version for public as opensource and that means OTRS is practically dead? No OTRS 7,8,9 in future?

Thanks.
BR!
OTRS 6.0.3-1, MySQL

zzz
OTRS superhero
OTRS Version?: 3.x–6.0.x
Company: Efflux GmbH

Re: OTRS 7 / 8 vs Community Edition

Post by zzz »

Hey,

The current CEO of the OTRS AG announced that new features will be implemented into the Community Edition around two years after the release of a new major version (source in German).

That'd be Nov 2020. I can't tell you if it will be called OTRS Community Edition 7 or if they'll just add new features as an update and keep the current name.

There's no other public information I am aware of. Where do you have your information from?

- Emin
Professional OTRS services for development, consulting, hosting and support:
efflux.de – German | efflux.de/en/ – English

Free and premium OTRS add-ons (TextModule, AdBlocker, ModernSkin, ModernSkinCustomer etc.): portal.efflux.de

Snowmanko
OTRS newbie
OTRS Version?: 6.0.5-1

Post by Snowmanko »

Hi,
thanks for joining this topic.

I've opened chat at official site otrs.com. See attached conversation. Vitor (person in chat) is sales representative working in OTRS AG I suppose - this is Linkedin info.

This is really confusing and I it concerns me in order to decide if I am going to use OTRS CE for newly spawned/installed Service Desk projects/solutions or not.BTW I am using OTRS for more than 12 years.
1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OTRS 6.0.3-1, MySQL

zzz
OTRS superhero

Post by zzz »

Thanks for sharing the conversation.

He is not only talking about the last public OTRS version but also about discontinuing the Community Edition, which would mean no more (security) updates.

It's hard to tell if he's talking about commercial support for the Community Edition or the general end of open-source OTRS.

Only an official answer can provide clarity.

— Emin

Free and premium OTRS add-ons (TextModule, AdBlocker, ModernSkin, ModernSkinCustomer etc.): portal.efflux.de

cordeos
OTRS newbie
OTRS Version?: 6.0.28
Company: Cordeos Corp.

Post by cordeos »

OTRS Gmbh has basically killed any open source version of OTRS after Community Version 6. They will not allow outside contributors and will not releasing any open source versions... possibly against the GPL license they 'should' be tied to. The OTOBO helpdesk project looks like it is taking off from where OTRS Gmbh sold out the open source community who helped build the platform. OTOBO seems to have a better, updated interface, is based directly off OTRS Community Edition 6 and you can migrate to and from OTRS and OTOBO.
OTRS 6.0.28 with FAQ and ITSM
On LINUX CENTOS 7.4 and (VMWare Virtual Servers - ESXi 6.7)
https://www.cordeos.com

jojo
OTRS Version?: Git Master

Post by jojo »

First of all please do not crosspost to different language forums and don't hijack other topics.

The OTRS AG (OTRS GmbH changed it's legal form abbout 10 years ago) was and is code owner of OTRS. OTRS since the bbeginning was commercial open source so the majority of the code was written by employees or paid freelancers working for OTRS. Which means that the OTRS AG invested over the years several million of Euros in the development and maintenance of the software.

Free software never meant free in the sense of free beer and you should carefully read the GPL and it's meaning.

There are some forks of OTRS all over the years, some already disapeared (like the italian fork which happened during OTRS 1.x) or have no ongoing maintenance. So perhaps some of the forks will survive, some perhaps not....
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com

zzz
OTRS superhero

Post by zzz »

cordeos wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 17:16
They will not allow outside contributors and will not releasing any open source versions... possibly against the GPL license they 'should' be tied to.
Hey,

That's just speculation to be honest. The annual report from 2020/06/30 is still talking about a 2-year release plan for the Community Edition.
Even though I share some criticisms, you can't expect a company to release free features without accepting their rules.

— Emin