Upgrade from 3.x to current

Moderator: crythias

Linwood
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 4.0.6
Company: LE Ferguson, LLC

Upgrade from 3.x to current

Post by Linwood »

In early 2015 I installed my first and only otrs community edition for a client.

Then never heard from them (well, almost never, once a few months later). I concluded they were not really using it.

Apparently they were, and are still and are happy. That site has had no updates in 3+ years, I think it's an early version 3. I see 6 is current, and the upgrade path is tedious, through each minor point of 3 and then 4 then 5 then 6.

Yes, there's a question here:

For those who have lived through this (unlike me who put OTRS out of mind), would you be willing to offer a high level, qualitative opinion how hard this upgrade path is going to be?

How disruptive were changes over the last 3 years, should I be looking at a couple hours per version and just rolling through them, or were some data affecting that required a lot of work to migrate? Yes, I'll eventually find each release note of each required version and read though it, not looking for details, but more of a "run for the hills" or "each upgrade was pretty automated and simple".

Note I also asked for a quote for the business solutions, just to see if it's viable to spin off this single client to someone more capable; no idea how that will compare to my effort, but it might be a better path. However, they were sold on open source, and may not want to change.

Thanks in advance,

Linwood
Linwood Ferguson
OTRS 4.0 patch 6, ubuntu 14.04 on HyperV, MySql
root
Administrator
Znuny Version: Znuny and Znuny LTS
Company: Znuny

Re: Upgrade from 3.x to current

Post by root »

Hi Linwood,

It's hard to answer your question. From my experience it all depends individually on the amount of data (# of tickets, articles, etc.) and sometimes of the installed packages. And don't do this without a test upgrade.

- Roy
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

Use a test system - always.

Do you need professional services? Check out https://www.znuny.com/

Do you want to contribute or want to know where it goes ?
Linwood
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 4.0.6
Company: LE Ferguson, LLC

Re: Upgrade from 3.x to current

Post by Linwood »

root wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 09:28 It's hard to answer your question. From my experience it all depends individually on the amount of data (# of tickets, articles, etc.) and sometimes of the installed packages. And don't do this without a test upgrade.
Certainly not. I'm just trying to help them evaluate whatever quote for services we get against what I presume is a rather long upgrade process (especially since I haven't looked at the product in 3 years).
Linwood Ferguson
OTRS 4.0 patch 6, ubuntu 14.04 on HyperV, MySql