change OTRS Mail Account

Moderator: crythias

juanman80
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 5.0.15

change OTRS Mail Account

Post by juanman80 »

Hi all,

my Company wants to change the Mail Account that OTRS gets email from: now it’s something like systems_support@company.com and they want it like support@company.com. It would also change the outgoing email address.

(I think) I know how to do the config, but I’d like to know what consequences this change may have on OTRS system and what measures I should take in order to avoid any unexpected behaviour.

We are using OTRS 3.0.11 and are studying medium-term upgrading to 3.1.4

Thank you all
OTRS 5.0.15 on CentOSLinux with MariaDB database connected to an Active Directory for Agents and Customers.
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Re: change OTRS Mail Account

Post by crythias »

In *general*, the major issue is training customers to use the new email address.
Verify if your current PostMaster fetch is Dispatching by To: or by Queue.
If by Queue, no problems.
If by To:, check your System Email Addresses Management (do this anyway) to make sure the email address you choose is reflected in the list.
If not reflected in either of the above, *if* your tickets show up, they may likely appear in RAW queue or some other queue you're not expecting.
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
juanman80
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 5.0.15

Post by juanman80 »

crythias wrote:In *general*, the major issue is training customers to use the new email address.
Verify if your current PostMaster fetch is Dispatching by To: or by Queue.
If by Queue, no problems.
If by To:, check your System Email Addresses Management (do this anyway) to make sure the email address you choose is reflected in the list.
If not reflected in either of the above, *if* your tickets show up, they may likely appear in RAW queue or some other queue you're not expecting.
Hi crythias,
thanks for the answer.
Well, the customer problem is not my area... I just deal with the machines so others can deal with the customers
I checked and we dispatch to the queue, so there's no problem there.
I was worried about followups: let's say I receive an email to OLD_MAIL, I create TICKET on RAW. I make the changes: ingoing and outgoing mail will be NEW_MAIL. An agent opens TICKET and, in order to handle it, he must reply to the customer. The outgoing mail will be NEW_MAIL, but the same alias. Customer will reply to NEW_MAIL thinking it's the old one because of the alias. When it arrives again to OTRS, will it detect both emails, OLD_MAIL and NEW_MAIL, and do something odd?
Kind regards,
OTRS 5.0.15 on CentOSLinux with MariaDB database connected to an Active Directory for Agents and Customers.
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

juanman80 wrote: let's say I receive an email to OLD_MAIL, I create TICKET on RAW.
if you're still accepting tickets that way, you will want to add the other method or alias/forward the old email to the new account. But you said "I" create ... if you're manually creating the ticket nothing else matters.
juanman80 wrote:The outgoing mail will be NEW_MAIL, but the same alias.

Same alias? It will come from the email address assigned to the Queue.
juanman80 wrote:Customer will reply to NEW_MAIL thinking it's the old one because of the alias.
See above.
juanman80 wrote:When it arrives again to OTRS, will it detect both emails, OLD_MAIL and NEW_MAIL, and do something odd?
PostMaster will obey what it knows about the ticket, starting with the Ticket Number. PostMasterFilters may change behavior, but only what you explicitly tell it to do.

A followup with a properly formed ticket number will most likely do what you expect it to do, based upon what the settings in the queue are (followup: possible, reject, new), without regard for the email address used. I'm pretty sure I have verified this as I've recipient specific queues and tickets assigned to a queue go to the appropriate queue because ticket number -> queue wins over recipient/destination email address. IMO, that's how it's supposed to be unless PostMasterFilter says otherwise.
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask