Moderator: crythias

james_gatt
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.9
Company: Charonite

Sendmail Windows Server 2008 Not Working

Post by james_gatt »

Hello all,

I am currently attempting to set up an OTRS instance with ITSM package. System Configuration involves Windows Server 2008 with OTRS running on admin privileges.

Incoming mails are working just fine with a job continuously fetching mail from the defined mailboxes every x minutes. However I have a huge problem when it comes to sending mail. To give you a brief description we use MS Exchange mailboxes with a specific defined port for our company server. At first I tried using SMTP/S/TL/TLS and it was all for nothing with OTRS returning a Perl CGI error. Next I tried my luck with Sendmail (Indigo for Windows). I tested the protocol via the command line by using-test and email was sent successfully which means that Sendmail will work under this installation of windows. Next I tried using it with OTRS by specifying Sendmail in Core::Sendmail and defining the directory path as c:/sendmail/sendmail.exe -t -console. Now when sending out email OTRS returns no errors and the interface actually shows the email as sent. However no email is actually received and in the Sendmail log i got the following error:

Sending mail from support.blink@sagoss.co.uk to support\.blink\@sagoss\.co\.uk,james\.gatt\@charonite\.com,james.gatt@charonite.com
Subject: Fwd: [Ticket#2011082610000228] Bug123
Error: Unexpected response: 550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender
Expected ^250
Message delivery failed

Any ideas why this error is happening? Please any feedback whatsoever is appreciated since I literally have run to a deadend.
Many thanks.

Regards,

James
renee
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 3.0.x
Company: Perl-Services.de

Re: Sendmail Windows Server 2008 Not Working

Post by renee »

WRT SMTP/TLS/...: What was the error, OTRS was returning?

WRT Sendmail: What does you config look like? Have you enabled authentication? Have you tried to use other sender addresses?
Need a Perl/OTRS developer? You can contact me at info@perl-services.de
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

james_gatt wrote:Client does not have permissions to send as this sender
This means what it says. You don't have permission to send as whatever email address you're using as your send-from. This isn't necessarily password authentication.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=c ... +sender%22
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
james_gatt
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.9
Company: Charonite

Post by james_gatt »

It is fixed. The problem was that the mail server set to outgoing had not the necessary rights to 'send-as' mails. Therefore each time the validation on server side fired off. I am now using a separate mail server with a simpler authentication method which allows OTRS to send to different email addresses.

Thanks for your help :)
juanman80
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 5.0.15

Post by juanman80 »

I have the same problem.
In my case, it seems that in some outgoing mails (agent notifications) the From field is empty, and Microsoft Exchange is rejecting them.
Why are the From field in these mails empty?
OTRS 5.0.15 on CentOSLinux with MariaDB database connected to an Active Directory for Agents and Customers.
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

technically this is valid. But you can set an envelope from via sysconfig Core::Sendmail
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
juanman80
Znuny newbie

Post by juanman80 »

jojo wrote:technically this is valid. But you can set an envelope from via sysconfig Core::Sendmail
thanks for the comment.

When we first made sendmail go through exchange, all outgoing emails had an empty From field. I changed SendmailNotificationEnvelopeFrom to make it the same as the inbound account (systems@my_domain). Now the emails to clients and to agents (through Admin Notification) are OK, but the agent notifications (new ticket in my queues, new info in my tickets, things like that) are being rejected by Exchange. In the Exchange logs, we see "From: <>".

Now I've seen that Kernel::System::Email->Send() has the option:

Code: Select all

Loop        => 1, # not required, removes smtp from
Should I remove it from the code or from the SendNotification method?
OTRS 5.0.15 on CentOSLinux with MariaDB database connected to an Active Directory for Agents and Customers.
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

No, don't touch the code
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
juanman80
Znuny newbie

Post by juanman80 »

jojo wrote:No, don't touch the code
Well, I commented the "Loop" modifications in Email.pm and still didn't work, mail was still being rejected. So I've undone the changes and I am completely lost.
Any suggestion?
juanman80
Znuny newbie

Post by juanman80 »

juanman80 wrote:
jojo wrote:No, don't touch the code
Well, I commented the "Loop" modifications in Email.pm and still didn't work, mail was still being rejected. So I've undone the changes and I am completely lost.
Any suggestion?
Ok, We solved it! It was a notification master misconfiguration in sysadmin->Core.