Platform sizing

Moderator: crythias

hery
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4.7

Platform sizing

Post by hery »

Hi folks,

I'm performing a design study for an OTRS deployment with the following volumetric elements:
  • up to 800,000 tickets per year roughly divided as :
    • 600 000 phone calls
    • 200 000 requests by e-mail
  • about 500 agents spread over a dozen of call centers

What architecture would you recommend for this use case (what types of servers? How? For what uses (front-end / database / backend postmaster ...))

Thank you in advance for your return:)
ferrosti
Znuny superhero
Znuny Version: 3.0

Re: Platform sizing

Post by ferrosti »

For a system size like that I´d highly recommend xxx support and consulting. I am not employed by them, but I can tell from experience that it prevents from headaches. Customization before going live is OK, but afterwards its going to be a mess.

Globally speaking I´d give nginex a try instead of apache and run a mysql cluster including a separate search server. With 500 agents (concurrent?) I´d run at least two webservers connected to a cluster of 3 mySQL DBs. Since mySQL scales with its number of servers, rather than its number of CPU cores per node this would be a good way to go.
I do not see a problem regarding 200k mail requests. This can be some standard solution that can be maintained easily by your admins.

This is just my .02€, but for a system of that size I won´t go too much into detail in a forum. 8)
openSuSE on ESX
IT-Helpdesk: OTRS 3.0
Customer Service: OTRS 3.0 (upgraded from 2.3)
Customer Service (subsidiary): OTRS 3.0
+additional test and development systems