Community Feedback wanted, or: Cool things to do with OTRS

English! place to talk about development, programming and coding
RStraub
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: 6.0.14

Community Feedback wanted, or: Cool things to do with OTRS

Post by RStraub »

Hey forum,

I finally got the OK from my company to merge some customization with the master branch. Our intention would be to have less code we have to maintain for ourselves, but of course I'm happy to share the ideas with the community if the merge would not be accepted.

As this will be my first pull request, I wanted to get some feedback first and see if these ideas are even worth considering.

As a post only allows to upload 3 images, I will use multiple posts.

Thank you very much for your time and I highly appreciate any feedback you can give me. So here we go:

Changes to the Survey module
Added a new question type (stars – scale). Consists of 5 automatically generated answers (0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%) and the left/right descriptions. Css and structure is stolen from the FAQ-Rating. Modified Views (Zoom, EditQuestions and PublicSurvey), mainly because we don’t want to calculate the result per each answer, but over all 5 (read: don't count every answer, but only show the average).

Before modification
survey_before.png
After modification
survey_after.png
Changes to the ticket zoom
We had agents who forget how long they were working on a ticket - or just missperceived that time. Thus we implemented a clientside timer that tracks the time spent "zoomed" on a ticket. With a click on the time, that amount is transfered to a note.
inspired by Martin Angelov:
http://tutorialzine.com/2013/06/digital-clock/
TicketZoomCounter.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Currently using: OTRS 6.0.14 -- MariaDB -- Ubuntu 16 LTS
RStraub
Znuny guru

Re: Community Feedback wanted, or: Cool things to do with OTRS

Post by RStraub »

Changes to the Change Management module

Show the truncated title of workorder next to the workordergraph - instead of the number.
Before customization
workordergraph_before.png
After customization
workordergraph_after.png
CMDB - Overview
As we had a lot of classes we wanted to get some additional filtering to the overview. Thus we added a second filter bar named categories, where you can group the classes.
CMDB_Category.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RStraub
Znuny guru

Post by RStraub »

Changes to the Customer Information Center

Further separated the states in the “Company-Status” overview. Added three calculated fields (Avg. Response time, Avg. Reaction Time, Total Work Time). Added link for a direct .csv export.

Before
companystatus_before.png
After
companystatus_after.png
New Dashboard widget: CIs in Incident
Added a widget (based on UserOnline) that lists all CMDB-CIs that are in incident (and not out-of-order).
CIsInIncident.png
RStraub
Znuny guru

Post by RStraub »

Changes to the DashboardWidget "TicketQueueOverview"

Added an additional filter to the Queue Overview widget to filter only “my queues”.

Before
TicketQueueOverview_before.png
After
TicketQueueOverview_after.png
That's it for the first round. If there are any questions or any feedback, please let me know! And thanks again for reading this.
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

Thumbs up on this.
I think the company status might be a bit overkill (maybe), especially introducing export at the list. I do *like* it, but considering people either like to click on everything or are afraid to click on anything (What does it do?) it might invite data dumps where permissions may not exist or are [not] desired to present.

Please note this is just a personal observation and in no way is intended to provide a solid argument against the offer of updates.

I will suggest that you break this down into per-module pull requests so they'd be adopted/ignored on an individual basis instead of all at once. And, of course, understand that this code is being pushed so someone else maintains it in core with ongoing updates. If core maintainers don't want that burden, they may reject it for that reason as well, regardless of cool or effectiveness for purpose.

(I'm not simply saying this for you, whom I respect, but for others, including myself, who may have submitted or may in the future submit code to core that is an enhancement rather than bug fix.)
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
wurzel
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: x.x.x

Post by wurzel »

Hi,

Thanks for the ideas! Great. I like them.

Changes to the Survey module

looks great. I do not use the survey module much. I would like to have more than one master survey ;)

Changes to the ticket zoom

The time looks also great! I am dealing often with issues of showing dates/times in tickets/overviews/escalations. Sometimes I see "3 days" or sometimes a absolute date. This "3 days" is something I really do not find usable. Absolout times are mandatory for me. And your clock does exactly that! Very nice.

Changes to the Change Management module

The title in the Workorders is much more better than numbers only.

CMDB - Overview

with this, the module becomes much more usable. Searches/Overviews in CMDB drives me crazy sometimes. Without Add Ons, you may not use it at all.

Changes to the Customer Information Center

I like the export! GREAT!

New Dashboard widget: CIs in Incident

Ohhh YEAH!

Changes to the DashboardWidget "TicketQueueOverview"

And This is also cool!

from my side, all changes are very nice and I find it very useful, and I will use them!

Thanks!!

Flo
OTRS 8 SILVER (Prod)
OTRS 8 auf Debian 11 (Test)
Znuny 7.x latest version testing auf Debian 11

-- Ich beantworte keine Forums-Fragen PN - No PN please

I won't answer to unfriendly users any more. A greeting and regards are just polite.
RStraub
Znuny guru

Post by RStraub »

Thank you very much for the kind feedback. I'm planning on migrating to 5.x and update the customizations according to the OTRS code policy. Afterwards I would create the pull requests and/or make the addons public.

Best regards,
Rolf
Nasirengg786
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.1.10
Company: Osource India

Post by Nasirengg786 »

RStraub wrote:Changes to the DashboardWidget "TicketQueueOverview"

Added an additional filter to the Queue Overview widget to filter only “my queues”.

Before
TicketQueueOverview_before.png
After
TicketQueueOverview_after.png
That's it for the first round. If there are any questions or any feedback, please let me know! And thanks again for reading this.

How to implement this - please share the settings for otrs 3.1.10
RStraub
Znuny guru

Post by RStraub »

I didn't have this when we were on 3.x, I could send you the files for the 4.x framework. You might be able to reproduce it then?