How to run a existing Postmaster-Filter Against a Queue (e.g. for testing it)

Moderator: crythias

hkais
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: see in post

How to run a existing Postmaster-Filter Against a Queue (e.g. for testing it)

Post by hkais »

Hello together,

I am wondering if there is a solution for running a existing (e.g. freshly created) Postmaster-Filter against a (set of) queue(s)?

E.g. if you create a more complex filter, I would like to be able to test it against the existing tickets, but sadly I did not find any answer.
Also this post (search function) did not help me, since the answer is far to abstract to me to understand how to solve the problem.

Hope someone can point me either to a doc or to a step by step instruction to run a existing postmaster filter for testing against a queue.

best wishes
Elected 2022-06 as an IT Governance Portal Expert. The portal for Znuny, OTRS and OTOBO users
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Re: How to run a existing Postmaster-Filter Against a Queue (e.g. for testing it)

Post by jojo »

postmaster filters analyse mails not tickets
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
hkais
Znuny expert

Re: How to run a existing Postmaster-Filter Against a Queue (e.g. for testing it)

Post by hkais »

jojo wrote:postmaster filters analyse mails not tickets
got it but coming from viewtopic.php?f=62&t=10486 so I expected there is a possibility. Isn't it?
Elected 2022-06 as an IT Governance Portal Expert. The portal for Znuny, OTRS and OTOBO users
lido
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.0.5

Post by lido »

As stated on that thread you linked, you can't re-run postmaster filters. As the name indicates, the postmaster filters get run at the time that the system is getting new emails from your configured email server.

You can create a generic agent job with the changes you want to make on the tickets and then you can either schedule or run the job manually.

It may help if you describe exactly what you want to do.
hkais
Znuny expert

Post by hkais »

lido wrote:As stated on that thread you linked, you can't re-run postmaster filters. As the name indicates, the postmaster filters get run at the time that the system is getting new emails from your configured email server.

You can create a generic agent job with the changes you want to make on the tickets and then you can either schedule or run the job manually.

It may help if you describe exactly what you want to do.
For me it is unclear how I can run the same rules of the postmaster filter against tickets in a generic agent.
e.g.
- identify
specific e-mails (tickets) by from, to, subject.
- close or/and move
the ticket to a different queue

But honestly in my eyes it seems to be a miss conception to separate generic agent from postmaster filter. Since the rules apply to either a ticket or a new e-mail. In both cases the e-mail fields are relevant. So it would be preferably better to have it usable against tickets and incomming mails with ONE ruleset. Especially if you consider that we are in the year 2018 and the UX (user experience) shall be in the focus.

Can I move all postmaster filters to generic agent rules?
If so, is there a tool for handling the data migration?
What are the benefits of a generic agent vs. postmaster filter?
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

There is no possibility to do so. As OTRS does not handle only emails and the Generic Agent can do much more then in the Postmaster Filters

If you want to participate or fund a feature you are invited to send pull requests or contact sales@otrs.com
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
hkais
Znuny expert

Post by hkais »

jojo wrote:There is no possibility to do so. As OTRS does not handle only emails and the Generic Agent can do much more then in the Postmaster Filters

If you want to participate or fund a feature you are invited to send pull requests or contact sales@otrs.com
Regarding the contact, will give the details to the relevant persons.

Regarding the question, how to setup a generic agent, can you let me know how to setup a generic agent to filter tickets by email-fields and to close or move the tickets?
Is there any doc or better a example?
lido
Znuny newbie

Post by lido »

hkais wrote: Regarding the question, how to setup a generic agent, can you let me know how to setup a generic agent to filter tickets by email-fields and to close or move the tickets?
Is there any doc or better a example?
You can read the documentation about OTRS's generic agent.

But it's really not that hard. Just create a new generic agent and on the "Select Tickets" section input your filter parameters. Then on the "Update/Add Ticket Attributes" set your new queue or state. Save the job, run it, and you're done.
hkais
Znuny expert

Post by hkais »

how can I use a OR condition in a search of a ticket field?
e.g. in Postmaster I could use:
(Joomla! Update available.*|.* Application Updates)

but this seems not to work in the generic agent?!?
hkais
Znuny expert

Post by hkais »

bump
lido
Znuny newbie

Post by lido »

I don't think the generic agent supports those types of conditions although it appears to support simple wildcards. You should probably create two generic agent jobs, one for each term.