Correct way to change the Favorite/Shortcut Icon

Moderator: crythias

alcesh
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 5.0.16

Correct way to change the Favorite/Shortcut Icon

Post by alcesh »

Hi guys and girls,

i tried to change the fav-icon for my OTRS 5.0.16 installation, following the OTRS manual (creating my own theme, ...).
http://doc.otrs.com/doc/manual/admin/st ... hemes.html

I created my own skin (which is working fine) and theme (which is NOT working).
The one and only task for the theme is, to change fav icon.

What did i do?
I created /opt/otrs/Kernel/Output/HTML/Templates/custom/ folder for my theme.
Then i copied the files HTMLHead.tt and Login.tt from the Standard folder to my custom folder.
I edited the files and changed the product.ico path to match the new icon (<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/otrs-web/skins/Agent/custom/img/icons/product.ico" type="image/ico" />).
Afterwards i added the theme in the SysConfig Frontend::Themes and selected the theme for my user.
OTRS says "updated successfully", but the fav-icon stays the same.

Which step did i miss this time? :D

Best regards

Alcesh
OTRS: 5.0.16
DB: MySQL
Webserver: Apache with mod_perl
Packages: Znuny4OTRS-Repo

How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? - Sherlock Holmes
RStraub
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: 6.0.14

Re: Correct way to change the Favorite/Shortcut Icon

Post by RStraub »

Try using:
~otrs/Custom/[...] instead.

Just make sure to keep the same folder-structure.
Currently using: OTRS 6.0.14 -- MariaDB -- Ubuntu 16 LTS
alcesh
Znuny newbie

Post by alcesh »

RStraub wrote:Try using:
~otrs/Custom/[...] instead.

Just make sure to keep the same folder-structure.
You mean like this?

/otrs-web/custom/img/icons/product.ico

PS: To me, it seems like the theme isn't used correctly.
I used FireBug to check the used path to the product.ico --> href="/otrs-web/skins/Agent/default/img/icons/product.ico"
If i manualy change it to the custom directory (with FireBug), it works fine --> href="/otrs-web/skins/Agent/custom/img/icons/product.ico"
Do i have to add more than just the Frontend::Themes entry to get the theme to work?
I created a new entry with custom (same name as the directory) as the name.

How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? - Sherlock Holmes
nedmaj
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 6.3.4
Company: Câmara dos Deputados

Post by nedmaj »

No, I think.

You img path looks just fine. It's your HTMLHead.tt path that is wrong. Try /opt/otrs/Custom/Kernel/Output/HTML/Templates/... instead.
Samuel

Znuny 6.3.4 | OTRS 5.0.17
Database: Postgres | Oracle 12.1
Number of agents: 450 | Number of customers: 20000 | Number of CIs: 30000
alcesh
Znuny newbie

Post by alcesh »

nedmaj wrote:No, I think.

You img path looks just fine. It's your HTMLHead.tt path that is wrong. Try /opt/otrs/Custom/Kernel/Output/HTML/Templates/... instead.
hmmmm i tired your solution.

1. The path ended with /opt/otrs/Custom/Kernel/Output. ../HTML/Templates was missing --> created.
2. I copied my custom skin there.
3. I restarted the apache and my browser
--> Still the normal fav-icon.

Also the guide from OTRS themself points to the path that i originaly used.
OTRS Guide wrote: Create a directory called Kernel/Output/HTML/Templates/Company and copy all files that you like to change, from Kernel/Output/HTML/Templates/Standard into the new folder.
Soooo lets try it with a little more information about the steps i took and why:
1. I am creating a new skin for my company. The skin itself with the new design is finished - only the fav-icon is left to change.
2. I can't change the fav-icon within the skin (css files) - right? Thats what i need the theme for.
3. I took the corresponding administration manual for our OTRS.
4. I created the custom directory and copied the files that contain the reference to the fav-icon.
5. I manualy changed the fav-icon path in my browser with FireBug to check if the path i want to use is actualy accessable/working. --> It works.
6. I changed the path to the fav-icon within the Header.tt, Login.tt, AgentTicketSearchOpenSearchDescriptionTicketNumber.tt and AgentTicketSearchOpenSearchDescriptionFulltext.tt from the variable path to the hard coded path.
7. I entered the name of the new theme (same name as the folder) within SysConfig Frontend::Themes and set it to 1.
8. I restarted the httpd and my browser.
9. I selected the new theme for my user --> good old default fav-icon

nedmaj
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 6.3.4
Company: Câmara dos Deputados

Post by nedmaj »

If you edit a copy of your files inside /opt/otrs/Custom/.../Templates/Standard you don't need to create a theme.

Have you checked if the theme name (path Templates/ThemeName) is the same name you set up at Framework > Core (DefautTheme)?
Samuel

Znuny 6.3.4 | OTRS 5.0.17
Database: Postgres | Oracle 12.1
Number of agents: 450 | Number of customers: 20000 | Number of CIs: 30000
root
Administrator
Znuny Version: Znuny and Znuny LTS
Company: Znuny

Post by root »

When you search the template file you will find in
  • Kernel/Output/HTML/Templates/Standard/AgentTicketSearchOpenSearchDescriptionFulltext.tt
  • Kernel/Output/HTML/Templates/Standard/AgentTicketSearchOpenSearchDescriptionTicketNumber.tt
  • Kernel/Output/HTML/Templates/Standard/CustomerHTMLHead.tt
  • Kernel/Output/HTML/Templates/Standard/CustomerTicketSearchOpenSearchDescription.tt
  • Kernel/Output/HTML/Templates/Standard/HTMLHead.tt
  • Kernel/Output/HTML/Templates/Standard/Login.tt
one of the following references for the shortcut icon:

Code: Select all

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="[% Config("Frontend::ImagePath") %]icons/product.ico" type="image/ico" />
or

<Image height="16" width="16" type="image/x-icon">[% Config("HttpType") %]://[% Config("FQDN") %][% Config("Frontend::ImagePath") %]icons/product.ico</Image>
Due to the fact that the setting Frontend::ImagePath points to the default theme and other images can be found there I suggest to put all other images into your custom skin and put an overriding xml into your skin opm which adjusts the ImagePath from
<OTRS_CONFIG_Frontend::WebPath>skins/Agent/default/img/ to <OTRS_CONFIG_Frontend::WebPath>skins/Agent/custom/img/
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

Use a test system - always.

Do you need professional services? Check out https://www.znuny.com/

Do you want to contribute or want to know where it goes ?
alcesh
Znuny newbie

Post by alcesh »

root wrote: Due to the fact that the setting Frontend::ImagePath points to the default theme and other images can be found there I suggest to put all other images into your custom skin and put an overriding xml into your skin opm which adjusts the ImagePath from
<OTRS_CONFIG_Frontend::WebPath>skins/Agent/default/img/ to <OTRS_CONFIG_Frontend::WebPath>skins/Agent/custom/img/
Hi root,
this sounds like the clostest solution to what i was looking for - i hoped that i could only redirect the favicon (with manualy overwriting the path within the custom themes tt files) and the other files could stay in the default img directory (regarding future updates, compatibility etc.), but i think this is no possible solution at the moment.
If i understand it correctly, you are mentioning an overwriting XMl for my skin - would this effect other skins too or is this only affecting my custom skin?
Copying the original imgaes to the custom skin is no big deal.
Also, you are mentioning a skin opm - i never worked with opm's before and i couldn't find a good source of information about how to create one.
At the moment my skin is pretty simple, only consisting of some css files to overwrite colors, an XML file for our own logo and skin registration within the SysConfig.

Could you give me some advice for the path overwriting that you mentioned?

Thanks!

root
Administrator

Post by root »

Your xml for the skin can be extended with

<ConfigItem Name="Frontend::ImagePath" Required="1" Valid="1" ConfigLevel="200">
        <Description Translatable="1">Defines the URL image path of icons for navigation.</Description>
        <Group>Framework</Group>
        <SubGroup>Core::Web</SubGroup>
        <Setting>
            <String Regex=""><OTRS_CONFIG_Frontend::WebPath>skins/Agent/default/img/</String>
        </Setting>
    </ConfigItem>
where you adjust the directory name.

Details on how to create opms can be found here: http://doc.otrs.com/doc/manual/develope ... lding.html
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

alcesh
Znuny newbie

Post by alcesh »

root wrote:Your xml for the skin can be extended with

<ConfigItem Name="Frontend::ImagePath" Required="1" Valid="1" ConfigLevel="200">
        <Description Translatable="1">Defines the URL image path of icons for navigation.</Description>
        <Group>Framework</Group>
        <SubGroup>Core::Web</SubGroup>
        <Setting>
            <String Regex=""><OTRS_CONFIG_Frontend::WebPath>skins/Agent/default/img/</String>
        </Setting>
    </ConfigItem>
where you adjust the directory name.
I set it up and the result is close (and somehow funny) - yet it doesn't work :D
I changed the Regex to fit my path (<String Regex=""><OTRS_CONFIG_Frontend::WebPath>skins/Agent/custom/img/</String>) and i copied everything from the default img folder to my custom/img folder.
The SysConfig now says, that my "custom" string should be the default, yet it still takes the ../default/.. path (Screenshots as attachment).
Do i have to set it manualy once?
If there is no other solution, then i have to force the custom path without the xml.... it just feels unprofessional after creating everything else as a separate skin :D

Note: I did the Rebuild Config, Clear Cache, restart server etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

root
Administrator

Post by root »

The XML-file were opened in alphabetical order try renaming your file CustomSkin.xml that it's read after Framework.xml ;-)

alcesh
Znuny newbie

Post by alcesh »

root wrote:The XML-file were opened in alphabetical order try renaming your file CustomSkin.xml that it's read after Framework.xml ;-)
Tried and failed.... i don't know if our OTRS hates me :D
Any more tips or tricks where i'm failing? Otherwise i will change the path directly in the SysConfig - i already copied all the images, so the basic reason for my question is solved anyway.
GREP.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

reneeb
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: 6.0.x
Company: Perl-Services.de

Post by reneeb »

Go to SysConfig and reset the config option for the Frontend::ImagePath. As ZCustom....xml is read *after* the Framework.xml it should be set to the value defined in your ZCustom....xml. And that value should be written to the ZZZAuto.pm as well (or the entry in ZZZAuto.pm is deleted).
Perl / Znuny development: http://perl-services.de
Free Znuny add ons from the community: http://opar.perl-services.de
Commercial add ons: http://feature-addons.de
alcesh
Znuny newbie

Post by alcesh »

reneeb wrote:Go to SysConfig and reset the config option for the Frontend::ImagePath. As ZCustom....xml is read *after* the Framework.xml it should be set to the value defined in your ZCustom....xml. And that value should be written to the ZZZAuto.pm as well (or the entry in ZZZAuto.pm is deleted).
I'm not 100% sure how the SysConfig relates to these config-files, e.g. when is ZZZAAuto and ZZZAuto updated, when the SysConfig is updated and so on, but your were completly right: After reseting the Path in the SysConfig, the ZZZAuto entry was deleted. Now it works.

Thank you all for your help!