[SOLVED] Auto responses are not being emailed to customer

Moderator: crythias

bitos
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.2.7

[SOLVED] Auto responses are not being emailed to customer

Post by bitos »

Hello,

I am trying to set up the auto-responses so they get emailed to the customer after I create a new phone ticket or when a new ticket comes in through the postmaster fetch mailbox. As I understand it, it should be pretty straightforward to set up using Auto responses <-> queues.

I'm pretty sure I have set them up correctly, because when I create a new phone ticket in a certain queue, I can see that the system generates the auto-reply. Also when I log into the customer portal as the customer, I can read the auto-reply. However, the auto-reply is not being emailed to the customer's email address. After reading suggestions on other posts here, I changed every Queue so they are set up with their own unique "system address".

The system can e-mail just fine. When I create a new "email ticket" or "bounce" the auto-response to the same email address the customer uses, they both get delivered. I, as the agent, also get emails notifying me about new tickets.

In the otrs.log I can see the following entries:

[Wed Nov 27 15:18:31 2013][Notice][Kernel::System::Ticket::Article::ArticleSend] Sent email to 'My Customer <my.customer@customeraddress.com>' from 'Support - IT <it.support@workaddress.com>'. HistoryType => SendAutoReply, Subject => [Ticket#2013112710000181] test auto response?;
[Wed Nov 27 15:18:31 2013][Notice][Kernel::System::Ticket::Article::SendAutoResponse] Sent auto response (SendAutoReply) for Ticket [2013112710000181] (TicketID=33, ArticleID=101) to 'My Customer <my.customer@customeraddress.com>'.
[Wed Nov 27 15:18:31 2013][Notice][Kernel::System::Ticket::Article::SendAgentNotification] Sent agent 'NewTicket' notification to 'my.lastname@workaddress.com'.

I also tried to add an Notification (event) that sents to the group "customer" on event "TicketCreate" as an "email-notification-ext", but those don't get emailed either.

According to our firewall, no mail is being sent out to the customer.

Am I missing something stupid like the "email auto-replies"-setting? Or do auto-replies by design/default not get emailed?

I am using the windows installer of OTRS 3.2.7

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Last edited by bitos on 07 Jan 2015, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
OTRS 3.3.3 on Cent0S 6.5 using MySQL.
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Re: Auto responses are not being emailed to customer

Post by jojo »

check logs of your mail server!
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
bitos
Znuny newbie

Post by bitos »

I have changed the SMTP server from our internal server to the outbound email server of our internet provider, but I'm still experiencing the same problem.
Email tickets get delivered, auto-replies from phone tickets do not. Moreover, they don't even get sent out to the mail server of our ISP.

When I creat an email ticket the ticket is sent out as an "agent - email-external", the auto-responses are of the type "system - email-external".
What is the difference between "agent - email-external" and "system - email-external"?

Now check this out:
When the SMTP settings are configured with our own internal SMTP server and I create a phone ticket with 2 "customers": 1 is me with my private (external) email addres and the other one is me with my work email (internal).
The auto-reply gets delivered to my internal address, but not my private one.
When I create an email ticket for the same 2 "customers", both messages get delivered.

When the SMTP settings are configured with the SMTP server of our ISP and do exactly the same thing: none of the phone ticket auto-replies get delivered, but both the email tickets do.

Schematically:
  • Our SMTP server
    • Phone Ticket (auto response)
      • Internal Address: delivered
      • External Address: not delivered
    • Email Ticket
      • External Address: delivered
  • ISP SMTP server
    • Phone Ticket (auto response)
      • Internal Address: not delivered
      • External Address: not delivered
    • Email Ticket
      • External Address: delivered
To me, it doesn't make any logical sense anymore.
If auto-responses in OTRS would be configured incorrectly i would expect not to get any auto-response, ever.
If my SMTP server settings were to be incorrect, i would expect to never receive any email tickets.

Update:
We compared the emails that got sent out by the email ticket (delivered) and the phone ticket (not delivered).
We saw that the "SMTPOriginator" field is empty in the phone ticket email.
When I "bounce" the auto-reply from the phone ticket in OTRS to the same email address it was originally sent to, the SMTPOriginator field does get populated and the email gets delivered.
Not sure if this is the cause of the problem, but so far the only thing we could find...
Last edited by bitos on 28 Nov 2013, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

Auto Replies are created as a bounce with no SMTP FROM. Your Mailserver does not comply the SMTP rules...
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
bitos
Znuny newbie

Post by bitos »

jojo wrote:Auto Replies are created as a bounce with no SMTP FROM. Your Mailserver does not comply the SMTP rules...
Hi jojo, thanks for your input. However, I'm not sure on how I should proceed now as I'm not very familiar with mail server configurations. Is there anything in OTRS that I can change so the auto-replies do get sent? I also updated the previous post, but you beat me to it.
bitos
Znuny newbie

Post by bitos »

For those who stumbled upon this thread with similar issues, I ended up using SendMail instead of SMTP and that seems to work.
Except for hotmail addresses - but I don't have/want customers with those. :lol:

UPDATE
After being forced to revisit this problem a year later, I figured out how to solve the problem completely.
In SysConfig > Framework > Core::Sendmail I forgot to fill out both the SendmailEnvelopeFrom and SendmailNotificationEnvelopeFrom.
After putting in an e-mail address in those fields, I was able to use our own SMTP server instead of relying on sendmail. All internal and external messages, notifications and auto-replies now work reliably. :D
Charmacas
Znuny advanced
Znuny Version: 5.0.26 on Debian 8

Post by Charmacas »

bitos wrote:UPDATE
After being forced to revisit this problem a year later, I figured out how to solve the problem completely.
In SysConfig > Framework > Core::Sendmail I forgot to fill out both the SendmailEnvelopeFrom and SendmailNotificationEnvelopeFrom.
After putting in an e-mail address in those fields, I was able to use our own SMTP server instead of relying on sendmail. All internal and external messages, notifications and auto-replies now work reliably. :D
This also worked for me. Thanks!