Moderator: crythias

dandaldn
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.2.1

Can't create PID PostMasterMailbox, already running

Post by dandaldn »

Hoping someone can help me figure this out. Here are my system specs:

OTRS 3.2.1
mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.95, for redhat-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.1
CentOS release 5.9 (Final)

This is a fresh OS install as well as a fresh OTRS 3.2.1. I set up an SMTP mail account that is used specifically for OTRS, that way all email sent to that account will have a ticket created. It was working fine for 1 or 2 days, but now emails are not being fetched and no new tickets being created. I think it may have to do with the error message I see in the System Log "Can't create PID PostMasterMailbox, because it's already running".

I Googled the issue and I've tried

- deleting the PID from the MySQL database
- fetching manually
- stopping cron
- verifying cron

My PostMaster cron is the default - once every ten minutes. I also read that it may hang because it takes a while to process but I only receive about two emails a day on that mailbox.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need any other info, let me know.
dibo
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.2.1
Company: Dibomedia e.K.

Re: Can't create PID PostMasterMailbox, already running

Post by dibo »

Hello,

we had the same problems and got rid of them for a while
doing these steps:
http://techgobind.blogspot.de/2012/02/c ... mment-form

Unfortunately these hints worked only for one week, and now we are getting the same error messages again and emails are not being fetched again!
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

first check: run the command that's in postmastermailbox cron job from the command line.

If it balks, try it again with the -f (force) flag

It should give you some diagnostics.

grep /etc/passwd otrs

check otrs' home path. Make sure it matches your installation (/opt/otrs, or /usr/local/otrs or ...?)

if not, vipw to change it (may also need vipw -s to change shadow).

That's all that can be said at this point.

Stuff that might be broken: crashed table.
Missing cron
(crontab -l otrs)

changed smtp password?
changed fetch password?

tell us what the command line version indicates and we can help.
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
pradeepspa
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.5

Post by pradeepspa »

Thanks for your response. After digging further, I found all configuration looks normal on OTRS, However the mails sent by nms was way too high for OTRS to process. Once fixing that, I see OTRS working as intended. I realized the version running 3.2 was too old so I have upgraded it to version 5. Everything looks fine so far. Whereas I am sure I miss something silly here.
Jun 13 11:59:15 otrs OTRS-otrs.Console.pl-Maint::PostMaster::MailAccountFetch-06[3089]: [Notice][Kernel::System::PID::PIDCreate] Can't create PID Maint::PostMaster::MailAccountFetch, because it's already running (test-otrs.bxi.lan/27891)!
Jun 13 11:59:15 otrs OTRS-otrs.Console.pl-Maint::PostMaster::MailAccountFetch-06[3089]: [Error][Kernel::System::Daemon::DaemonModules::BaseTaskWorker::_HandleError][Line:51]: There was an error executing Execute() in Kernel::System::Console::Command::Maint::PostMaster::MailAccountFetch: Error: Unable to register the process in the database. Is another instance still running?
You can use --force-pid to override this check.

I was trying to find the process of Postmastermailbox but it isnt there. Comparing otrs 3 , 5 got all the cronjob scripts integerated into daemon process. So anyway I could kill the specific process and start?