OTRS Backup Question

Moderator: crythias

Xypher
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.1.7
Company: Systems Integration, Inc.

OTRS Backup Question

Post by Xypher »

So I'd like to backup our otrs mysql db but in order to do so we must bring down mysql, and thus we'd be bringing down OTRS.
Is there some kind of maintenance page I could have displayed to the customer while doing the backup?
Perhaps not done through OTRS, maybe pointing the httpd temporarily to custom page.

What might be the best recommendation?
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Re: OTRS Backup Question

Post by crythias »

Xypher wrote: I'd like to backup our otrs mysql db but in order to do so we must bring down mysql
wow. Really? try automysqlbackup and schedule it off hours, if you have such.

How big is your database?

What OS?

How long do you think a mysqldump will take? (hint: anything around 1-3 gb would probably dump "live" in less time than it takes to set up the maintenance page ... or get an answer on a forum.)
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
Xypher
Znuny newbie

Post by Xypher »

Well I knew someone would respond quickly on this site :)

But we're running our OTRS on the Debian flavor of linux. Our db is roughly 9½ GB. Last time I did a mysqldump it took over 30minutes.

If the solution would be to point a temporary httpd page at the OTRS path I think it would be fun to mimic/design a simple maintenance page.
crythias

Post by crythias »

May I also suggest converting to filesystem storage of attachments?

hm. Try this:
Edit Config Settings in Framework -> Frontend::Customer
CustomerPanelLoginURL

Default value: http://host.example.com/cgi-bin/login.pl
Defines an alternate login URL for the customer panel..
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Xypher
Znuny newbie

Post by Xypher »

On the attachments storage note, not sure if you remember a little while ago we were (and still are) having attachment corruption issues. Might switching to filesystem storage fix this?
(Overall I suppose it would be a good choice to switch to filesystem storage)

Thank you for the recommendation, it appears to work perfectly!
Xypher
Znuny newbie

Post by Xypher »

Sorry, to give more description to the attachment corruption... Whenever a reply/response is made through the website and an attachment is added, that attachment will become corrupt. (If e-mailing to the support address with an attachment, everything is ok)
This all happened after migrating over to UTF-8.

Might switching to filesystem for attachments solve this?

Thanks again for the solution to my OP
crythias

Post by crythias »

Xypher wrote:Sorry, to give more description to the attachment corruption... Whenever a reply/response is made through the website and an attachment is added, that attachment will become corrupt. (If e-mailing to the support address with an attachment, everything is ok)
This all happened after migrating over to UTF-8.

Might switching to filesystem for attachments solve this?

Thanks again for the solution to my OP
I can't effectively answer your question. My guess is "yes" ... you'd be able to make the configuration change and test it immediately. The basic concept appears to be that this sets a flag in the attachments database that indicates whether to look at the filesystem or the database for the attachment.
Flag set: Old attachments; wherever they were originally
New attachments: according to the flag.

This doesn't retroactively convert attachments to filesystem (there's a bin or script for that), I'm pretty sure, because of the existence of that command line conversion script.