Automatically Rotate Agents

Moderator: crythias

adupre01
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0
Company: Hamline University

Automatically Rotate Agents

Post by adupre01 »

I was wondering if there is a way to configure OTRS so that when a new ticket is opened or moved into a specific queue then it will automatically be assigned to an agent on a rotating basis. Basically we just want tickets to be evenly assigned among agents.

I was thinking this would perhaps be a task for the Generic Agent to handle but I do not see a way to do this in that menu. I can setup the correct conditions (new or open ticket in queue x) but under actions I only see a way to select one agent and not have it automatically select the next agent in line for those tickets.

Is it possible to setup this kind of ticket distribution (Generic Agent or other)? Do I need to edit a file (if so which?) instead of simply trying to do this through the admin web interface?
OTRS 3.1.3 + ITSM 3.1.1 + FAQ 2.1.2 + Survey 2.1.3, Redhat
ferrosti
Znuny superhero

Re: Automatically Rotate Agents

Post by ferrosti »

This would require some own programming.
The difficult part is to not assign tickets to users that do not actively work on them. One could do this using the 'my queues' feature, but still this would need some programming.
openSuSE on ESX
IT-Helpdesk: OTRS 3.0
Customer Service: OTRS 3.0 (upgraded from 2.3)
Customer Service (subsidiary): OTRS 3.0
+additional test and development systems
adupre01
Znuny newbie

Post by adupre01 »

That's what I was afraid of... Our current system is a custom job made in Banner in the mid 1990's so it is definitely time for a new and better system like OTRS.

I was hoping I could try to setup a generic agent where if any ticket with new and/or open state is in queue x then lock owner to agent 1, the next ticket to agent 2, and so on. Do you think I could do this by editing the generic agent file? I'm not sure which file to even edit. Sorry for my noob-ish-ness but if I could get pointed in the right direction I think I can figure a lot out from there.

thanks
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

The real problem is what happens when you you have #of agents with locked tickets +1 ticket?
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
adupre01
Znuny newbie

Post by adupre01 »

Sorry, I was describing it poorly. Say we have two agents and over a period of time 4 tickets come into the queue. The first ticket should go to agent 1, the second ticket should go to agent 2, the third ticket should go to agent 1, the fourth ticket to agent 2 and so on up to the nth ticket so that tickets are evenly distributed to each agent.

Say (regardless of my specific issue) I wanted to edit the file which contains the generic agent jobs. Where would I do that, which file do I edit? I've created 1 generic agent job but I do not know where the file is located.