[Solved] Another "Impossible to Send Message"

Moderator: crythias

adupre01
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0
Company: Hamline University

[Solved] Another "Impossible to Send Message"

Post by adupre01 »

I'm trying to configure OTRS to send mail and it seems no matter what I try it does not work. Perhaps there is a newbie mistake I am making?

My current config is:
SendmailModule: SMTP
Host: 'my host'
Port: 25
AuthUser: 'me'
AuthPassword: 'my password'

This is the error I get

Code: Select all

Backend ERROR: OTRS-CGI-10 Perl: 5.12.3 OS: MSWin32 Time: Thu Jun 16 16:23:26 2011 Message: Impossible to send message to: Cole Hanson <chanson14@hamline.edu> . Traceback (728): Module: Kernel::System::Ticket::Article::ArticleSend (v1.274) Line: 2042 Module: Kernel::Modules::AgentTicketCompose::Run (v1.124.2.7) Line: 534 Module: Kernel::System::Web::InterfaceAgent::Run (v1.58.2.1) Line: 853 Module: ModPerl::ROOT::ModPerl::Registry::C_3a_Program_20Files_20_28x86_29_OTRS_OTRS_bin_cgi_2dbin_index_2epl::handler (unknown version) Line: 49 Module: (eval) (v1.89.2.1) Line: 204 Module: ModPerl::RegistryCooker::run (v1.89.2.1) Line: 204 Module: ModPerl::RegistryCooker::default_handler (v1.89.2.1) Line: 170 Module: ModPerl::Registry::handler (v1.99) Line: 31 
I've also tried SMTPS and port 110. I don't understand because this always works on other devices/services we use with the same info.
Last edited by adupre01 on 30 Jun 2011, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
OTRS 3.1.3 + ITSM 3.1.1 + FAQ 2.1.2 + Survey 2.1.3, Redhat
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Re: Another "Impossible to Send Message"

Post by crythias »

port 110 is pop.
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
adupre01
Znuny newbie

Post by adupre01 »

crythias wrote:port 110 is pop.
Right you are, my mistake. However, it still does not work with port 25 on SMTP. I suppose I was hoping you would see something in the error message that would point to some obvious other mistake I have made in configuring OTRS.
crythias

Post by crythias »

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1TSN ... le+to+send

Please look at other posts and let me know how much you've tried.

It's almost always your connection to the SMTP server, and likely you're using exchange that doesn't allow you to relay via SMTP /25 ? I can't know, because I don't have enough information.

Chances are, if outlook express/windows mail can do it, OTRS can do it. you might need port 587(?) and SMTPS, it depends...
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
adupre01
Znuny newbie

Post by adupre01 »

I have tried searching around a bit on google and on these forums. Our server does allow relay.

After spending several hours with one of the network techs we traced it to a problem with authentication. Port 25 is open so that was good and we have the correct host. The problem is that our our server requires DIGEST MD5 encryption. We tried setting the sendmailencodingforce to base64 but that still didn't work. And then I found this post http://forums.otrs.org/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=5340.

Is there any solution besides setting it to plain auth? The server running OTRS is not the same as our mail server and I doubt very much that our network techs would allow setting it to that.

thank you for the reply by the way (forgot to say earlier)
adupre01
Znuny newbie

Post by adupre01 »

For those of you viewing this post who maybe need some guidance on how to even figure out what the problem is - what we ended up doing was installing wireshark on the server we were running OTRS, starting a capture, then trying to send an email. Once you get that "impossible to send message" error you can stop capture on wireshark. To make things a bit easier on yourself filter packets in wireshark by 'smtp' this will give you only those that use that protocol.

What it looked like on my machine was we could see OTRS opening the connection with the mail server, authorizing the user and then our mail server sent a big long encrypted string (looks like lots of random letters/numbers) OTRS then tries to send back something encrypted and our mail server then says 'nope!' and closes the connection.

I have tried installing additional Perl modules Digest::MD5 and SSLWrapper. However, I have limited experience with Perl and while I think I installed them correctly OTRS still does not want to seem to be able to use DIGEST MD5 encryption. I installed these from the command line using "ppm install (module-name)" and they said they installed with no errors. Do I need to then go also install these modules for OTRS somehow?

One possible work around we were contemplating is changing to a linux server in order to use the sendmail instead of SMTP on windows.
adupre01
Znuny newbie

Post by adupre01 »

Wow, so I suppose I will mark this as solved since I got it to work. The problem for me at least was that for some reason our server will not accept smtp requests if there is an auth user listed. If we have no auth user listed then the request goes through. I am not sure how our network guys were not aware of this as it seems like a big security hole.
crythias

Re: [Solved] Another "Impossible to Send Message"

Post by crythias »

It's only a security hole if you allow everyone to relay, but *that* IS a security hole.