Multiple ticket owners

Moderator: crythias

solefald
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.7

Multiple ticket owners

Post by solefald »

Hello,

It is possible to have multiple ticket owners? Currently we have the ability and use this feature alot.
How can i set something like this in OTRS? Perhaps there is a way to have a ticket owner + ticket watcher?
The idea is to have ticket show up in both people's dashboards, so they can keep track of it.

thanks
RHEL 5.8 :( / OTRS 3.2.0beta2 / SystemMonitoring
solefald
Znuny newbie

Re: Multiple ticket owners

Post by solefald »

Never mind... had to enable Responsible and Watchers. But is there any way to have multiple responsible people? It only lets me select one.
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

You may just want to turn off locking ... multiple owners of a ticket can lead to chaos: "Who handled this last? What did you do? Who's handling this now? Are they fixing it? Are you being helped?"
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
solefald
Znuny newbie

Post by solefald »

crythias wrote:You may just want to turn off locking ... multiple owners of a ticket can lead to chaos: "Who handled this last? What did you do? Who's handling this now? Are they fixing it? Are you being helped?"
This feature is only useful for our Desktop support team, and there are only 5 of them and they share the same large office, so I don't anticipate any confusion, since they already have 2-3 owners per ticket now.

As far as locking goes, how do you quickly "Take" a ticket without having to add a Note, a Response or go to Owner screen and assign a ticket owner?
Plus Lock feature i very useful with SystemMonitoring plugin. There is no need to add any notes to 99% of those alert tickets. Once a Nagios alert comes in, someone can just click on Lock to ACK it,
take care of the issue and ticket gets automatically closed with an OK alert. Quick and painless.
crythias

Post by crythias »

solefald wrote:As far as locking goes, how do you quickly "Take" a ticket without having to add a Note, a Response or go to Owner screen and assign a ticket owner?
I thought (?) it was as simple as clicking the ticket (from dashboard) and clicking lock...

Or do you want to change ownership simply?
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
solefald
Znuny newbie

Post by solefald »

crythias wrote:
solefald wrote:As far as locking goes, how do you quickly "Take" a ticket without having to add a Note, a Response or go to Owner screen and assign a ticket owner?
I thought (?) it was as simple as clicking the ticket (from dashboard) and clicking lock...

Or do you want to change ownership simply?
Right. Thats what I have it set to right now. When someone clicks on "Lock" it changes the ownership and changes ticket state from New to Open.
You suggested turning off locking, so I was wondering if there was another way to quickly take ownership of the ticket, if locking is disabled.
crythias

Post by crythias »

If you take off locking, why bother tracking ownership?
solefald
Znuny newbie

Post by solefald »

crythias wrote:If you take off locking, why bother tracking ownership?
haha. you suggested it :)

i don't want to take off locking, really. I was just looking for a way to have more than 1 owner+1 responsible person. If I can have more than 1 responsible person, that completely solves my issue.
crythias

Post by crythias »

:) I suggested turning off locking because what's the point of multiple responsible on a ticket? You have the same amount of control and knowledge of ownership as not locking it.
orange_aurelius
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: OTRS3

Post by orange_aurelius »

One possibly useful application I could think of for multiple owners or multiple responsible agents is tracking (reporting) when two people work together on a ticket.

For instance, if I wanted to run a report against the OTRS database to determine how many work orders an agent closed in a given period, I'd probably start by selecting based on the agent's name as owner and a ticket status of closed. But what if two agents worked side by side on a ticket (e.g. a physical maintenance task) and I want to make sure they both get 'credit' later on when we do reporting? Having multiple owners or responsible agents would be one way to do this. Is there a generally more acceptable 'OTRS Way' of handling this case?
crythias

Post by crythias »

orange_aurelius wrote: if I wanted to run a report against the OTRS database to determine how many work orders an agent closed in a given period, I'd probably start by selecting based on the agent's name as owner and a ticket status of closed. But what if two agents worked side by side on a ticket (e.g. a physical maintenance task) and I want to make sure they both get 'credit' later on when we do reporting? Having multiple owners or responsible agents would be one way to do this. Is there a generally more acceptable 'OTRS Way' of handling this case?
Even though the response is a year later, I'll take a chance and say, don't report necessarily on *tickets*, but on *articles*.
Basically, agents that have added to the ticket history should be counted as working on the ticket.