FreeText implementation is really lacking.

Moderator: crythias

solefald
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.7

FreeText implementation is really lacking.

Post by solefald »

I've been testing OTRS 3.0.7 for the past few days and keep coming to conclusion that while FreeText is a usable addition, it is not very well designed.
I really like OTRS overall, but TextFields are somewhat useless in their current state

1. No usable documentation

2. Configuration
To configure them, I have to jump though hoops and click on a gazillion different screens.
Ticket -> Core::TicketFreeText to name actual fields
and
Ticket -> Frontend::Agent::Ticket::View*
Ticket -> Frontend::Customer::Ticket::View*

That is 28 different screens, if I want to add a single FreeText filed to all screens
And you cant assign Key/Value on the View* screens. This is bad design.
3. FreeText is not configurable per queue, and you never know when plugins are using any of those fields.
Example: I am using SystemMonitoring plugin with Nagios, wich uses 2 FreeText fileds for Host and Service, but this is not reflected anywhere, and FreeText1 was still available for configuration.
So, this morning I added an "Advisor" FreeText1 field to all 28 View* screens and generated a report, to mimic our existing process we have in FootPrints. I was really disappointed when the report
pulled a bunch of hostnames from SystemMonitoring Nagios tickets under my Advisor column, so now I have to go back to all 28 configuration screens and change Advisor from Key 1 to Key 3, because FreeTextKey1 and FreeTextKey2 are already used by the SystemMonitoring plugin. Nothing shows that, however.
4. Inability to add FreeText to a ticket without doing something else, like replying to it, or adding a note.
Advisor field is only required for a single departmental queue, so I can not require that field for all new tickets. Why can't an Agent just edit ticket properties somewhere and add an Adviser, without adding a note? This field is not required and does not warrant a note in the ticket

We serve around 5,500+ users and have a certain workflow that I am in no position to change. Is there anything else that would help me work though these issues? I really like OTRS and would like us to continue using it, but without something simple like custom fields per queue, or at least something that is usable, OTRS wont work for a large organization like ours.

I have also tried TicketTemplate add-on, but again, it lacks documentation and I can't even figure out how to add a new template. I only see a way to select one....
RHEL 5.8 :( / OTRS 3.2.0beta2 / SystemMonitoring
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Re: FreeText implementation is really lacking.

Post by crythias »

OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
solefald
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.7

Post by solefald »

crythias wrote:There are options... http://forums.otrs.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=8032
Yep, already considered that, but I am under strict "no hacks" order.
Our current ticketing system is in absolutely unmaintainable state, because of the hacks and the fact that people who implemented them are long gone.
We are 3 versions and 6 years behind on updates.

Unless there is a point-and-click way for the Management to change things, it wont fly. After the installation and configuration Management gets 100% control of the situation.

Is there a development roadmap somewhere? I failed to find anything recent.
RHEL 5.8 :( / OTRS 3.2.0beta2 / SystemMonitoring
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

I'm not explicitly aware of any further roadmap, except for the release of 3.0 (already). If you want "no hacks", I'd strongly suggest a support contract...
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask