Moderator: crythias

RichH
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.4
Company: Victorinox Swiss Army, Inc.

Latest OTRS & CentOS versions

Post by RichH »

Hi,

Last night we tried installing the latest updates for CentOS 6.5 on our OTRS Dev. server. The server was unable to boot after that, so we restored it from backup.

I'm going to try to use this incident to convince my boss that we should purchase the OTRS Business solutions support. He's previously indicated that he's willing to purchase support as OTRS has become a major application for our business.

We are running an outdated version of OTRS and probably not an optimal version of CentOS (version info below). So I'm not surprised that the CentOS updates weren't compatible with our OTRS version.

Could you tell me what the lastest version of OTRS is, and what the Optimal version of CentOS is? Would the OTRS business solution package include upgrading & patching the CentOS system?

Current Version info:
OTRS Version: 3.3.12
Database: mySQL 6.5
Perl Version: Perl 5.10.1

Thanks!
RichH
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.4
Company: Victorinox Swiss Army, Inc.

Re: Latest OTRS & CentOS versions

Post by RichH »

BTW - Any additional information that would help me convince my boss to purchase the OTRS business solution services would be appreciated.

I did the upgrade from OTRS 3.10 on Windows to 3.12 on CentOS...and I seriously DO NOT want to go thru anything like that again!
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

Latest version of OTRS is 6.0.4 which requires at least PERL 5.16. So for the server OS you should switch to the latest version of CentOS also.

As you missed out several updates including mahor security patchlevels for your version also you might even consider a fully managed version without any struggles for updating or operations.

For on premise there are migrations needed from 3.3. to OTRS4, then to OTRS5 and to OTRS6, which for sure can be performed by an OTRS Consultant. On mos contracts the upgrading afterwards is part of the contract
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
root
Administrator
Znuny Version: Znuny and Znuny LTS
Company: Znuny

Post by root »

RichH wrote:
We are running an outdated version of OTRS and probably not an optimal version of CentOS (version info below). So I'm not surprised that the CentOS updates weren't compatible with our OTRS version.

Could you tell me what the lastest version of OTRS is, and what the Optimal version of CentOS is? Would the OTRS business solution package include upgrading & patching the CentOS system?

Current Version info:
OTRS Version: 3.3.12
Database: mySQL 6.5
Perl Version: Perl 5.10.1
Hi Rich,

Laterst CentOS 6, which is 6.9, is fine for OTRS up to version 5. Starting with OTRS 6 you'll need at least CentOS 7, due to the version of the bundled Perl.

- Roy
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

Use a test system - always.

Do you need professional services? Check out https://www.znuny.com/

Do you want to contribute or want to know where it goes ?
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

RichH wrote:Would the OTRS business solution package include upgrading & patching the CentOS system?
Only on managed, OS and application will be operated, patched and mantained bynthe OTRS group
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com