Support Master Post

Moderator: crythias

crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Support Master Post

Post by crythias »

There are a set number of links that can be added to a signature, so I am creating this post to cover some common help tips.
  • Things that will help get your questions answered
  • Use the appropriate language forum for your request. Please attempt to use proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Type in the manner you expect to receive an answer. Repeated bad spelling doesn't necessarily indicate that a thoughtful response is requested. If the language of the forum is not your primary tongue, you may be excused for such, but txt spk is not a reasonable translation attempt. Kindly refrain from SHOUTING your sentences!
  • Edit your signature to include your OS and version of OTRS. There are significant differences between releases (including things like DynamicFields versus TicketFreeTexts) that may not apply to your version.
  • Ask a question If you don't ask a question, why would you expect to receive an answer? If all you do is state a problem, don't expect an answer. "How do I fix this?" isn't a valid question. The question should be in the body of the post (not the title) and should be either the first or last part of the post. Expect that your post will be skimmed for something to fix. Question marks are good anchors to get to the point, but while you're there ...
  • Ask good questions

Code: Select all

I am using OTRS Version:
    I am using OS: 
    I am using Database:
    I have this problem:
    I am encountering my issue on this screen:
    I can replicate the issue by:
    This is what I've tried:
    These are the posts I've found that are relevant, but don't seem to answer my question:
    I've looked at the HowTos on this:
    I've looked at the Docs.
    The logs say:
    I've done a non-specific generic search for the error message and it says:
    That doesn't apply to me because:
    My question is:
  • If this is *urgent* for you, you may be better buying a support contract. (No, not trying to sell you anything. The answers on this forum are provided voluntarily by people who feel like answering them. If you don't like the answers/response rate here, try somewhere else, or pay the value of the response to an OTRS Support Professional who can help you.)
  • Tell us what version and OS you're using when you ask a question, if you refuse to change your signature. Also, please specify if you've installed KIX4OTRS (version?) or other third party addons
  • What do your logs say? -- You WILL be asked this question. If in Windows, check otrs.log
  • Think about the question you are about to ask. If another person asked you the same question, in the same terms you are about to ask, what questions would you ask in order to clarify that question?
    • Bad: "It doesn't work" ... What doesn't work?
    • Bad: "Nothing works" ... Really?
    • Bad: "I got this error" ... Did you search for that error on the Internet?
  • Mark your topic [SOLVED] if it is solved. (Edit the first post and change the title) (Why? Because people will like to search things that turn up results that not only address their issue, but also indicate how to fix it.)
  • Don't cross-post. There aren't that many forums.
  • Don't post questions in HowTos. (Why? Because HowTos are moderated and are for instructions and recipes.)
  • It's quite okay to create a new topic for *your* issue even if your issue is a "me, too" of another. Just include a link to the "other" thread in your new topic, "I saw this [other thread], and I'm having the same issue" helps us respond to *you*, and only to you, so you don't have to ask, "Is this a fix for my issue?" If you're not the OP (Original Posting person), it becomes a bit more difficult for anyone replying to properly answer you.
  • Try not to respond to old topics/posts as "me too". (Why? Because the original topic author is going to get notified and probably doesn't have an answer to give).
  • Don't make changes to Defaults.pm. Copy to Config.pm and make changes there. (Why? Defaults.pm gets overwritten upon update.)
  • Don't post on the forum your Defaults.pm as your "Config" because you made a change there. That's at least 1900 lines of code, about 700 lines of which are comments or blank lines. It's not fair to ask forum readers to sift through it for that one change you made.
  • If you can, when posting code (Config.pm), please remove commented lines (begin with #) and blank lines, and use [­code][­/code] tags around your code.

my $code;
    $Self->{'info'} = 'something';
    Generic help
  • The documentation
  • Wiki
  • FAQ
  • Search this forum
  • HowTos on this forum (Do not post questions to HowTos)
  • Videos
  • OTRS Official Github source
  • Developer API (Don't be scared of it.)

External sites
  • OPAR - Community OTRS Addons
  • IdeaScale - Vote for and submit idea requests
  • OTRS BugZilla - Report and search for existing bugs

Popular and favorite posts
  • Backup and Restore
  • 3.3 Upgrading (linux)
  • 3.3 Upgrading (windows)
  • Some changes to .dtls (Customize the dashboard with additional columns)
  • How To show freetext for specific Queues for Customers (Javascript/CSS to hide/show FreeText fields on queue change)
  • How to show/hide Dynamic Fields for specific Queues (3.2+) (Same as above, but easier)
  • How To show specific services for a given queue (ACL)
  • CustomerID, CustomerIDs, and Customer Groups
  • Discussion on Services and SLA
  • Chrome search OTRS and YOUR tickets
  • LDAP and other multiple backend connections for Agents and Customers.
  • Why Agents should not reply to tickets via email (Available as an add-on for Subscription Customers)
  • Add a sign-off line to a PDF
  • Create ticket from ticket
  • Don't use Customer Based Queues
  • LDAP Troubleshooting and info
  • Query time per state per ticket
  • Change frequency of email fetch
  • A discussion on 200 limit for active directory results
  • IIS/Windows redirect back to login fix

Common Searches
  • Search results for Can't create PID PostMasterMailbox already running
  • Search results for Oracle
  • Search results for nginx

Hints
  • Do NOT use the appliance for production.
  • OTRS requires a dedicated email address that no human should ever touch. If you need to have duplication, forward a copy somewhere. Pick one mailbox for humans, one for OTRS. OTRS will DELETE ALL MAIL from its mailbox. Yes, even with IMAP. No, don't try to break OTRS code to fix this.
  • If speed of email fetch is of importance, you may find it better to receive email directly to your otrs box rather than increase pop fetch frequency. Take a look at setting up your otrs box to receive smtp mail directly with procmail, for instance
  • Make sure you don't have another copy of OTRS running. This will especially be evident when your tickets are not. Make sure your dev or testing box isn't also set up to automatically retrieve tickets. The first retrieval wins. POP3 errors are usually related to multiple simultaneous attempts at the same email box.
  • Search your SysConfig for one unique word relating to your query. 'Ticket' is not unique enough. 'create' or 'permission' or 'field' might help
  • SysConfig is logical. If it's not ticket related, it's in Core or a Package. What's not ticket related? Authentication
  • Chances are, if you get an error, you misspelled something
  • If index.pl downloads after ticket submit, it's likely a problem with smtp/email notifications (or a problem with a module you've changed.)
  • Don't ask about sending External Notes to customers. Use a Reply/Response and send the note directly. That is what it's for.
  • Agent Notifications Sending/Not Sending/Doubling? Agent Preferences, Notifications [Yes], Queues selected in "My Queues"
  • LDAP errors are usually credential related. Agents (/index.pl) don't get added by LDAP Auth. They get added either manually or by AuthSync
  • Customers authenticate via customer.pl. Agents/users authenticate via index.pl
  • Don't forget that OTRS is a web application. Things (javascript, jquery, for instance) will work the way you expect to do them outside of OTRS.
  • If closed tickets are being reopened by customer email reply ("Thank you!") set the appropriate option (new/reject) in the Queue's settings regarding followup on closed
  • Email send problems will usually tell you why it failed. If you see an error on send, the error comes from your sending method and is reported by OTRS. OTRS didn't create the error, your send method did.
  • IMAP and POP are receive/fetch. SMTP/sendmail is send. It's not IMAP that is causing a problem with send. It's not SMTP that's causing a problem with receive mail.
  • If your System Logs say a table has been marked as crashed, believe it and check your database application documentation for remedy.
  • Centos/RedHat and distributions with selinux enabled must disable selinux or else you'll get write/cache errors.
  • Linux users might consider automysqlbackup to assist with scheduled backup dumps
  • Try to be kind to your customers. If it doesn't indicate progression of ticket solution, the customer probably doesn't need to know about it via email. Changes in priority, queue, status, and even notes are for agent purposes. (What about external notes?) External notes are secured by your otrs web implementation. If the customer needs to know it via email, send a reply/response to the customer.
  • Responses and AutoReplies need to be attached to all relevant queues for them to work.
  • (generally) ResponseS and autoReplieS go to customeRS. NoTificationS go to ageNTS
  • Be brave. Almost all changes through SysConfig are nondestructive and reversible to defaults. Keep track of what you make changes to. What's destructive? Not much. Email that doesn't arrive. (It's probably in your spool and System Logs will tell you it's Priority or State label changes). Changes to your SystemID are *bad* but sometimes can't be helped. Changes to your numbering scheme while you have open tickets in a different one may not be nice and create new tickets under the new ticket scheme. *CUSTOM* changes to a numbering scheme may cause tickets to not obey ticket numbers and create new tickets on reply.
  • Because *most* changes are nondestructive -- if it goes in the wrong queue, move it. and fix the problem --try it before asking whether it will do "x". Whatever you choose, if it says or implies that it will do what it says it will, and it's something you want it to do, just make the change. See what it does. If it doesn't do what you want, undo it. But only after it doesn't do what you want, then ask the question. It's a bit frustrating to answer a post: "This configuration says it will do x. Will it really do x? I need it to do x." The answer is usually, "Hey, did you try it? Because if it didn't do x, you'd be asking a different question."
  • git can be your friend. It can track changes across your entire install, and store them in another repository. Think of git like incremental backup with version history. Commit after every change. Really. Just do it. You won't have hundreds of delta files (.save, .old, .orig, .back) and you will be able to revert any tracked file to any point in history, just by git checkout.
  • [automated] things to do in bulk can be done with Generic Agent
  • you can apply changes to multiple items from the result of a search: Select, Click bulk, make applicable changes.
  • Constantly check the HowTos.

If you have posts you'd like to see included, reply to this topic and I'll add them here.
Please don't use this topic (Please create a new topic) to ask for help.
Please don't pm/Private Message/Email moderators for questions. If we're active and we can/want to answer them, we will on the forums.
Please don't cross post on multiple boards. Traffic is low enough that it will get seen on one location. If it needs to be appropriately moved (usually just because it's the wrong language), we'll take care of it, don't worry :)

Some features you may want to see are available as an add-on for paid Subscription Customers.
I read this, followed it, and nobody's answering my question(s)!
We're volunteers here. We don't get paid to answer questions on this forum, and we don't have time or resources to answer everything that's asked. Some of us don't know everything about OTRS. If we don't think we'd add positively to the discussion, we'll just not answer. (This doesn't mean all the answers provided on the forum are correct. When in doubt, defer to the documentation.)

Note
This document will be revised from time to time.
CHANGES:
  • 10/9/2012 - question template added
  • 10/10/2012 - disable selinux
  • 11/29/2012 - check for multiple OTRS installs
  • 12/7/12 - additional questions in checklist, Config.pm/Defaults.pm
  • 3/16/13 - be bold and use git.
  • 11/27/13 - updated to github source and added bulk from search
  • 1/2/14 - link to issue with > 200 customers
  • 2/7/2014 - update some links, added Searches
  • 4/8/2014 - add dynamic field hide/show link
  • 6/20/2014 - ask a question
  • 8/25/2014 - updated API link, doc links
Last edited by crythias on 25 Aug 2014, 14:54, edited 9 times in total.
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
crythias

Re: Support Master Post

Post by crythias »

This is my not-sanctioned-by-OTRS standard answer on dependent fields:

Major categories (Hardware, Plumbing, Software) should be queues.
Pieces that belong to the category (PC, Printer, Toilet, Windows, Lion) should be services.
To show only appropriate services for a queue, use an ACL: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=11235

(Yes, this really means no customer based queues.)

Queues should be items (Categories) that Agents can handle.
Services should be items that Customers want fixed.

Addendum to this: Look to ACLs to assist with possible values when changing DynamicFields.

Note that current dependent fields have a relevant javascript code related to the field (bind to change). If you are using ACLs for dynamic field dependency, you will want to make sure you bind the parent field to update on change similarly to how the other fields in the .dtl are updated.

"What does that mean?"
See here in CustomerTicket.dtl?

<!--dtl:js_on_document_complete-->
<script type="text/javascript">//<![CDATA[
    $('#TypeID').bind('change', function (Event) {
        // make sure the ticket is not yet created on type change
        $('input#Expand').val(1);
        Core.Form.Validate.DisableValidation($(this).closest('form'));
        $(this).closest('form').submit();
    });
//]]></script>
<!--dtl:js_on_document_complete--> 
See how this "submits" for validation -- but not really stores the form -- on change of Type? You'll want to make sure the DynamicField_fieldname has a declared id="fieldname" and create the same code for the new field:

<script type="text/javascript">//<![CDATA[
    $('#fieldname').bind('change', function (Event) {
        // make sure the ticket is not yet created on type change
        $('input#Expand').val(1);
        Core.Form.Validate.DisableValidation($(this).closest('form'));
        $(this).closest('form').submit();
    });
//]]></script>  
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
crythias

Agent Notifications Not Working

Post by crythias »

Agents will get notifications if:
Agent Preferences Notifications Yes and Queue highlighted in their My Queues.
In version 4, Notifications are set for Queues, Services and/or both/either. Appropriate selections for the notifications must still be highlighted in order to be alerted. If Queues are selected, at least one Queue should be highlighted in My Queues. If Services are selected, at least one Service should be highlighted in My Queues.

The ticket is unlocked and the Agent has above set
The agent-owner who has the ticket locked and the above set.

Agents will not get notification for notification-worthy events that they do for themselves (The agent already knows he assigned the ticket to himself.) However, this can be changed in SysConfig: AgentSelfNotifyOnAction.

Still not working? It's a mail transfer issue. Take a look at OTRS System Logs in the Admin panel.
crythias

DynamicField How does it store?

Post by crythias »

dynamic_field_value.value_text, value_date, or value_int hold the value of dynamic_field_value.field_id=dynamic_field.id
dynamic_field.name is the short name (fieldname)
dynamic_field.label is the display name
dynamic_field_value.object_id is the article.id or ticket.id (based upon dynamic_field.object_type)
dynamic_field.object_type is either Article or Ticket

"How do I get the dynamic field data assigned to a ticket in a sql query?"

SELECT ticket.*, dynamic_field.name, dynamic_field.label, dynamic_field_value.value_text from tickets left join dynamic_field_value on (dynamic_field_value.object_id=ticket.id) left join dynamic_field on (dynamic_field_value.field_id = dynamic_field.id) where dynamic_field.object_type="Ticket"
You'll get one record per ticket for each dynamic_field.
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=17663

"but I want more ticket information, even if there isn't Dynamic Field assigned!"

SELECT ticket.*, dynamic_field.name, dynamic_field.label, dynamic_field_value.value_text from tickets left join dynamic_field_value on (dynamic_field_value.object_id=ticket.id) left join dynamic_field on (dynamic_field_value.field_id = dynamic_field.id AND dynamic_field.object_type = "Ticket")
crythias

On linking SLAs to Priority, etc.

Post by crythias »

Often asked: "The priority dictates the SLA! How do I change one when I change the other?"

First: SLA is SLA (when expected finish) and Priority is Priority (when/how urgent to start).
SLA is money and time to *complete*. It costs you more if you shrink your agreed time to complete, and it could cost the customer more if you change the SLA.
SLA is also the only thing that tells you when the ticket must be *completed*.

Priority is (mostly) the order of operations you need to get something worked on *today*/*now*. It doesn't necessarily have to change the deadline for *completion* but it may be the thing that you need to *address* more or less urgently than another *right now*. The key is... if something is urgent, the priority can be raised to get started on the ticket and do certain things to begin movement on the ticket. A submitted high priority ticket may be "mostly" addressed urgently, but may not be *completely* solved at the time where the urgent part has been addressed.

For instance, you're waiting on a part or a response from the customer. You've bandaged together a temporary solution that addressed the "urgent"/priority part of the ticket, and can reduce the priority from "5" to "4" or "3" because the reason of the higher priority has been substantially addressed. This change in priority/urgency doesn't affect the agreed upon time to complete.

This is why they're separate. SLA is supposed to be fairly static (and as long as it can make sense to be) for a ticket. Both sides -- customer and agent -- should know the costs associated with changing the agreed upon time to complete for a ticket. From a service provider side, your response time can vary with the priority, but your completion time doesn't have to match the priority.
crythias

How do I auto-assign an agent?

Post by crythias »

There is no general need to autoassign an agent as owner to a ticket.
Reasons:
1) Load balancing. There's no way that auto assigning ticket ownership can be helpful if ticket completion length is not taken into consideration.
2) Agents or dispatch (managers) [humans] are more able to determine whether they are available enough to take a ticket, or can handle more load.
3) An agent that's the sole member of a queue is the de facto owner of the ticket. Assigning ownership is just piecemeal work that doesn't move the ticket forward. All notifications still work
4) A computer that assigns a ticket may be just as likely to be overridden by a human as a currently unassigned ticket
5) A dispatcher human doesn't need ownership of a ticket to assign ownership to another agent.

If load balancing is a problem and tickets are locked, the ticket unlock timeout can be adjusted so the tickets can be reassigned.

Note that everyone in a queue gets updated on followup if the ticket is unlocked, but only the owner agent, responsible, and watchers(?) may get followup information of a locked ticket.
crythias

Re: When fetching mail isn't fast enough

Post by crythias »

LINUX:
If you have a Linux installation of OTRS, you will usually have several options for setting up your mail handler to receive mail. Likely, one of exim4, postfix, qmail, or sendmail are already installed but if this is a new install of Linux, you either may not have one of these installed or it's not configured to receive mail. Check your Linux distribution for the proper way to set it up:
It could be one of:
dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
dpkg-reconfigure postfix
or it may be manually editing a configuration file for your mail service and restarting that service.

Check if port 25 is listening on "0.0.0.0" (Change the "80" in the tutorial to "25")

If you are able to connect inbound port 25 to your OTRS server, that's all you need to do to enable direct receipt of mail.

You'll want to enable procmail support for your mail transport (SMTP server) and apply
chown otrs:www-data /opt/otrs/.procmailrc
chmod 640 /opt/otrs/.procmailrc

WINDOWS:
If you have a Windows install of OTRS, and you're NOT RUNNING EXCHANGE ON THE OTRS SERVER, check out this post how to install a free mail server and receive tickets instantly.